Thursday 13 October 2011

Blast


Events in May and June 2010

Blasting appeared to take on a whole new meaning. 
Everyone was exhausted, stressed and almost killed off by the end of May. 
All the delightful, leisurely moments that as a team we had enjoyed, appeared to be meaningless, as if they had never existed. 

I'd performed at my piano teacher's pupils concert and the practice required probably got on everyone's nerves! I was annoyed with myself when I made a mistake playing too fast and had to stop, start again!  One Sunday I did a 10km walk alone but with the village group.  
In May there are a lot of feast days. Brocantes were galore at the weekends and on the hottest day ever we went to La Villeperdu, Valencay and St Maure but really it was just, just too hot.  

After sand blasting there was the neck-breaking sanding of the beams.  Men on site were covered in more dust as new plasterboard replaced the damaged board between beams. This was not envisaged!  Then taping, jointing, filling 'dinks' in walls and ceiling and much, much more sanding of plaster.  This required repetition, time and patience.   
BUT ... Oh what a beautiful result was produced and I AM DEEPLY GRATEFUL.
Every time I look at my huge beams I remember the cost involved and I don't mean just monetary.
I remember too that machine and the scaffolding and I continue to appreciate the effort that two men contributed to making a difference in what was a former barn before it's conversion about 26 years ago.

Wall paper stripping continued....the scaffolding was mine  to reach the top of the extremely high walls! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

It would be lovely to hear what you think.