Monday 30 September 2013

A Life without Water - not quite

Well... there is water but it is not in the well.
Water comes from the mains into the meter. The counter display is flooded so that the numbers are not turning, although I witnessed wheels going round when I turned the stop cock to show a friend the problem! The stop cock was turned off before I went to UK, which is when I noticed that the purger or pipe was leaking!  It didn't seem to leak when I turned off the stopcock, so I left it all to fate whilst I flew on my journey to catch a flight for my holiday. On my return I established that the leak is definitely coming from the joint between the counter and the purger, both before / after the stopcock. That was Saturday and now on Monday I've discovered that my plumber has been on a training course all day.. hence he picked up my MANY messages just after 16h.  By which time I'd phoned a different plumber who returned my call to tell me that as the water will have to be turned off in the street I must contact the Syndicat d'Eau.  Now it is after 17h ... and yes someone would come this evening.  NOPE... this is France.
So .... I will turn ON the water and waste a lot into the sand pit below the pipes in order to fill my water boiler to heat enough for a bath in the morning. Cooking with little water from the jugs and containers filled... and hand washing is a PAIN. I've done all this before when sub-zero temperatures prevented the flow from the tap... but I JUST DON"T NEED THIS.  I've had to stay in all day today instead of collecting logs and doing other outdoor jobs...but the good news is that admin was achieved. The rain prevents mowing the lawns! I'm getting ready for the hospital trip!!!!!! and after that having a bath or a shower will be another challenge. Footy in a plastic bag! Ah..... life is such fun!!!!!!!
UPDATE: The French Syndicat d'Eau is absolutely THE BEST! The man arrived on the Tuesday morning and had it all tickety boo within minutes. The GOOD NEWS IS THAT I DON'T HAVE TO PAY because the leak was on the water board's side of the dubris!!!!!!  
Wednesday:  I asked him to come and explain how to turn on / off the tap as the system is different... there are now two purgeurs and they are on the other side of the counter! He was EXCELLENT,  very patient.  Against this experience I CAN RECOMMEND FRANCE AS A PLACE TO LIVE ... I SPOKE FRENCH ALL THE TIME, BADLY BIEN SUR mais avec resultats!

1 comment:

It would be lovely to hear what you think.