Wednesday 2 November 2011

Entertainment

Some acquaintances are extremely talented and their association "La Fausse Compagnie" presents a variety of quality entertainment for the public.  The aim is to take the current several day event to different villages where little happens.  So to Vicq sur Gartempe...and at the water's edge. "Lire en Vienne" presented a poetry reading "Au fil de L'eau" in French, of course, followed by soup and wine for free. 

On a different day music for a Bal was played by button accordion and drums. My two left feet were invited to be a partner for either E or F in the Valse.  They steered me each time!  After a while I became rather melancholy when I kept hearing the tunes I play and I wanted to be on the playing side of the instrument rather than the listening side.
In the darkness Spacefish did his act and after that there was a 5 minute Mime from Momette who had no mouth.   My fascination was with the excellent performance from two astounding women accordionists who could not only PLAY, and I mean PLAY... this instrument in different styles without music, but could sing, and I mean SING ...even in an operatic manner as well as cause much merriment and mirth within themselves and the audience.  One was tall and one was short and yet so beautifully entwined were they in their performance. Brilliant.   The repas on the Saturday evening was Celeri Remoulade, followed by Poulet avec Prunes, and a variety of prune, plum or apple tart. Seasonal fare!  It was great fun and lovely to be out and about.  I never get my attire correct... went in trousers ... but then nipped home to wear something more 1950s style... black and white polka dot skirt, black polo neck sweater, kitten heels and my ¾ length autumn brown satin coat. More womanly!












A week later I went rather timidly to a cabaret version of the poetry presentation in the village hall where I live. The readers were dressed as matelots (sailors) on a theatrically decorated stage, with a slideshow of watery scenes.  There were two sea shanty songs for audience participation, but I declined to sing “A la santé du roi de France et merde pour le roi d’Angleterre” for the refrain/ chorus!!! The two hour entertainment cost 5 euros which included a glass of cider,  plus 1 euro for a slice of home made Reine Claude tart and coffee.  One French lady who I met at the previous entertainment was very welcoming and ensured I sat at a table with other people rather than alone. No one else spoke to me but I enjoyed just trying to understand the extracts that included Jules Verne, Hemingway, Homer and Victor Hugo…I read the programme!

UPDATE: November 21st 2012  Go to:

http://www.lafaussecompagnie.fr/spectacles-le-chant-des-pavillons.html

where you can travel from webpage to webpage to listen to and see more information.

No comments:

Post a Comment

It would be lovely to hear what you think.