Wednesday 28 March 2012

JS Bach

Until now I had never heard an uninterrupted performance of 24 Preludes and Fugues Book 2 by JS Bach.  I listened to the performer whilst following my Urtext keyboard score.  Again this was something I had never done before.   It was a good exercise and prevented me from falling asleep as it kept my mind alert. Music can be soporific.
For 20 euros, including a bowl of soup and a glass of wine served during the 30 minute interval, it was stunningly good value.  The level of pianistic concentration required was enormous and it was evident that the pianist/harpsichordist was tired when he made a few mistakes towards the end.  Yet, he managed an encore.  He had played for 3 hours!  However, I forgave him because I know how fiendishly difficult these pieces are, even though they sound so simple, delicate and beautiful.   The pianist had been to this venue two years ago and although he performed a lot last year he said that this year would be easier.  He also taught at a Conservatoire.  Oh, how I need to practise!

No comments:

Post a Comment

It would be lovely to hear what you think.