Monday 21 October 2013

The foot of the patient, the hat of the house and electrical matters

Post in the making.......

Photos will arrive but iphoto is a problem making the rainbow wheel spin constantly and boot up takes ages. Evidently the computer has one hard drive but it thinks it has others, so takes ages booting up.  I have to discover how to solve the problem. Why don't computers have brains? So many promises were made to us humans over 30 years ago about technology which would give us more leisure time? Has it heck! All our time is occupied solving technological mysteries and in this instance, where there are several self-generating photo libraries, I can't find photos that I took and uploaded/downloaded yesterday! I used to enjoy learning technology but now it is tedious.  I have other things to do!  All I wish, which isn't actually completely true, is sometimes to be without the machine. Not possible,  as it is my lifeline and limb to the real world beyond my roof, beyond my gates that my two feet would like to travel!

Three days of workmen on site has created dust and havoc. I wasn't really prepared for falling masonry or what is involved with roof tiles being removed.  Yes I had prepared for dust etc. It's not the same as Lego. I wasn't happy that tiles were being thrown into the lorry with some falling onto the road.  I suggested that they bring the lorry nearer, They didn't, yet on the 3rd day they did!   I also think that sweeping skills need further training.  On 3rd day, I suggested they swept the road just as they were about to drive off.  No comment but they did. It took two men. One watched as the client swept the courtyard detritus towards number 2's shovel.  I didn't wish to trip on broken tiles with my hobbly foot.

Two weeks have passed and although it is still painful for Mrs Hobble, days are getting better.  The foot is sufficiently healed so as to climb ladders to take photos and then to cause me pain afterwards. I suppose I shouldn't climb the ladder but needs must!  On Sunday, I had permission from the boss to climb the scaffolding which is sturdy and safe taking the weight of 4 men. I wanted to inspect the grenier after the thunderstorm of Saturday night. 30mm of wet stuff called RAIN.  My brain has been as dead as a dodo since the op but there is nothing like drama to wake it up!!!!!
Water appeared where it shouldn't be; between shutters and doors of two rooms and on the kitchen floor.  Quel horreur at 10 am Sunday morning. (My sleep patterns are completely awry.)

Basically the flat part of the wall high up where once there were tiles was not covered with tarpaulins, called baches in France. Water ran down the textile of the bris and flowed either side of the flat surface down either side of the stone wall.  Guttering is of no consequence at the moment.  A real no-no is to get stone walls wet. There had better be no water marks appearing LATER in my decorated rooms!!! On  Friday, I had not noticed the situation on my roof, being "not alert".  On Saturday I emailed the boss and asked if it was covered sufficiently as I could see that it wasn't. Yes, he says,  it will be ok!!!  On Sunday: Nature makes thunderstorms which roofers cannot predict!  H'm... Me and my intuition!!!!!  I have commented to him that it's vital to listen to a woman and more important to listen to the client!

ALSO they replaced one panne sabliere which does look like pine with treated pine but the other seems to look like oak.  On Friday it hadn't been removed. I was in a quandary.  I was tempted to be demanding and ask for oak even if it raised the devis, but was that being silly and unnecessary?  I am a house caretaker.  I want my roof to be beautiful as well as practical.  Yes, I shall have a ten year guarantee but a roof should last 50 years or more. Can I be queen of my domain and get what I want? In the end I had to accept treated pine! The queen submitted to their knowledge!

I've taken photos of the renovation project and think that photos go a long way as a selling feature if I ever have to sell, though as yet I don't want to give in and return to UK!!!!!! Mind you if you heard me a few days ago this would not be true. I have been very low in morale but perking up as days go by!!!

I told the 3 artisans that I don't wish to see screws in the oak finition on the roadside edge. They should fix with proper plugs. I don't know what they are called... but you get a hexagonal wedge of acacia and thwack it into the joint to hold both pieces of wood together.  It's traditional. Screws are useless. I intend to speak to the boss again about this.  He is still looking contrite, even though I've warned him months ago that I have high standards.

Monday: they covered half of the Mansard roof that looks towards the sky, with tarpaulin at the end of the day. Tiles are removed and evidently battens and rafters are in a worse state than anticipated!!!!! I knew it was bad. Then I was told that there isn't a wall plate and so one has to be  built. I need to research what that is! I think it holds the upper layer of slate tiles.

Monday: I find their electrical lead using my kettle socket. Investigation tells me I have no ceiling lights in the Oval room and kitchen, nor exterior light and one socket in the kitchen isn't working. That's why my bread didn't toast. I accepted cold bread because I wanted to leave the men to themselves for lunchtime!  I let them use my kitchen as a dining room. I have no problem with that.   They couldn't just tell me there was a problem, I had to ask why. Well it appears it is because they are now operating the hydraulic ladder to bring down tiles and that needs strong electrical power. We learned that there was only 10 ampere in that particular plug.  So they used the one with 16. Fortunately I had some fuses and each of the fuse switches is different! Only in France!

I'll have to learn about amperes and get the electrician to return because despite consulting him three times the board labels are not correct.. why are there different amperes? .... why are prises and lampes mixed ... why do different rooms go onto one fuse and then other parts of the same room are on another fuse?   I know.  It's France!!!!!!!

To return to the roof. I am less anxious ... but will need to keep an eye on replacement of wood.  It's pretty dangerous in that grenier and really I need to replace the floor structure... but ouch!   I can't afford it as yet!

To return to the foot. It walked me up the lane about 100 yards and the muscles in the calves are not so anguished whilst compensating for walking on a heel. It was lovely to have a view of houses, plants, cars, a cat and know that it is much better to get out of the house!
Postscript Tuesday: the foot did not wish to go far in my house!

I've started a jigsaw and it reminds me of Harriet Edith Turner, my maternal grandmother, whose birthday would have been yesterday. We always did jigsaws, played cards or Monopoly and she showed me how to crochet and knit, to cook simple basic meals like bread and butter pudding, bread pudding, apples wrapped in her own pastry, slow roasts and casseroles. She was a very good bridge player, a gentle soul, always calm, worldly and lovely.


2 comments:

  1. Keep your spirits up! I wouldn't worry too much about the pine in the roof. It's normal practice these days to replace oak rafters with treated pine. It probably isn't as good, but it's not bad. Good on you for sticking to your guns and demanding pegs. The fuse thing will be because French electricians are trained to put some pathetically small number of sockets or lights to each fuse, so you always end up with two fuses at the box for rooms with more than about 4 sockets. The way the house is wired is different to the way they are allowed to do it in the UK. Mixed lights and plugs to the same fuse is not right though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. To follow up on Susan's comment...
    in the UK we have circular walks [ring mains]...
    each room has two circuits... one for lights and one for power.
    In France they have Scottish walks... out and back along the same route!!
    Therefore, they have strict limits on the number of sockets or lights per run...
    so, you will find that in French houses they have a large number of extension sockets and cables...
    per wall socket!!
    That's why every Intermarché, Super U, etc. carries so many different variations...
    We asked for twin sockets in numerous places... and were met with aghast stares!
    We apparently didn't need them... like you with the wooden plugs, we insisted... and got!!

    But Susan is right... 10Amp lights and 16Amp sockets on the same line is wrong...
    unless, however, the fuse at the end is 16 or 20Amps...
    in which case it is allowed.
    If you have circuit breakers rather than the older fuses, you are a little safer...
    there will be C10, C16 and C20 switches rather than something you put a fuse in...
    and they do what they say...
    break the circuit, if you overload it, by switching off....
    you can then go fumbling about with your torch and switch them on again...
    they will promptly switch off again...
    because you hadn't removed the item from the line that overloaded it in the first place...
    so you need to remove the two most power hungry items on that line....
    this is, of course, providing that you know which sockets/lights are connected to which fuse...
    which, given French electricians' "training" is a grey area...
    [Susan, I'm really not completely convinced that they are trained...
    they don't give me that impression anyway...
    someone, like Stefan, who has trained himself, is more likely to have the real knowledge...
    and don't mention internet cabling to a rural French electrician....
    TV cabling is beyond him...
    and 'phone lines are... well.... a kind of "Black Magic"!!
    And I don't mean the chocolates...]

    I do hope, RIF, that this has now left you a little more illuminated...
    and hasn't blown any remaining fuses...
    if the latter, yo' need a "Broadside" or, as winter is upon us...
    a nip of "Tally Ho"...
    once your poor foot is healed, keep on truckin'...
    and stay in command!

    ReplyDelete

It would be lovely to hear what you think.