Tuesday 3 February 2015

Shepherd or Vineyard Worker Huts - Posting One

In the very local surroundings of my village, Angles sur L'Anglin, you may discover on private land, or along a chemin, the vestiges of ancient dry stone wall buildings that have a small entrance.  Evidently, they are found only in this region and in Provence.  Several years ago the Office du Tourisme conducted a tour of these on one of the Patrimoine days, therefore, I am reporting what I understood when my French language skills were poorer than they are now!  I know where many of them are, and as far as I can remember there are no more than 20 or so.   I shall do further homework as I am not exactly sure of their title.  However, this is a post posting sentence; they are called 'Loges' but in Provence are called 'Bories'.   They were built to shelter shepherds or vineyard workers or those who worked in fields from the onslaught of the heat or inclement weather. Many are in ruins. 

This is one of the largest that I know and in a private field.
 
This  one has a teeny weeny entrance and we were told it was for 'the little dog'... I think a chihuahua!
but close by, along the chemin, again built into the dry stone wall were other shelters for people...

...the inside of this one is remarkably dry
Another is in a private garden...
So that makes five on that particular walk, plus another nearby on an off route chemin leading into a field but I could not locate it. 
Maybe I should make a map of where they are!

No comments:

Post a Comment

It would be lovely to hear what you think.