Thursday 10 December 2020

Taking a lot of thought

24 June 2020
This was published as a draft but 6 months later I return to look at the BLOG as I wonder what I've been doing all year!   I feel as if I have not stopped. I know I haven't completed most of the January 2020 intentions.

This is the edited version in retrospect!

KANGOO TEMPORARY CONVERSION for camping.

It has taken a lot of consideration, research, help, support, ideas and discussion between and from most valued friends on how to get this done!!!!!

A smart interior of a smart looking Kangoo for my dream 'to do temporary van life' was purchased in November 2019, but the ability to drive this vehicle wasn't complete until the first week of January 2020 when there was an unexpected fee! I had to pay a lot of money for the car registration number to be transferred to my name. It was impossible to do online so one must pay a garage!!! They make a profit for little work!

Actually after enormous anxiety at learning to drive a LH vehicle, larger, wider than my Clio a RH drive aged 19 years, I am beginning to feel more confident  and dare I say excited for the dream plan.

I hoped a carpenter I know was going to maek me small wedges 10cm max long x 1cm max wide at widest end... or near enough...and post asap but as I found a few, he never did make more for me.  

The foil in the windows is staying up on its own at the moment...so a friend didn'y  need to sew bias binding around the shapes.  We were agreed on that.  I might not need the magnets to hold onto the metal where there is metal BUT.. will get them anyway. I didn't realise how small they are! often 10mm x 10mm x 2mm recommended but I am about to phone again and discuss. I can't see how they would be strong enough through the silver foil and would have to be about 100 times or more ??? stronger than a fridge magnet which i know are not neomydiam.  

After the planning the correct siza and weight of magnest arrived and were sewn into sealed pockets and sewn onto the silver foil  at stratgic places by my friend's machine. My eyes cannot see to sew neatly.

She sewed blue silky blackout cotton-weight about 500g or a bit heavier to hang behind the drivers and passenger seats... the pole is in situ now... she helped me saw it to length.    This meant I could take it down whilst travelling.  It was a very good idea as I could lift up at night and peer out the windscreen from my bed.

I found in my limited fabric stash a 1m x 1.50m white blackout fabric to use across he rear window rather than silver foil... but I made both.
The rear window also needed to have blackout curtain removed quickly if I have to drive off from danger!   Have learned one should always park facing direction of a GET AWAY! 
At first I  decided nothing for the driver and passenger side windows so, that if necessary,  I can crawl into driver's seat without opening side sliding doors for quick get away.   BUT eventually I did make them but they do need magnets or suction cups. 

I'm really impressed that the radiator foil is such a brilliant purchase. Highly recommended.

The most difficult window has been the windscreen which is 80cm x 150cm apx but I found an inexpensive one in the auto shop  but it's not quite large enough.   On holiday in July I discovered that really I need both as this falls with the weight away from the windscreen which is at a sloping angle.
I shall buy suction cups for this.

The one from the Clio has also been useful.It was useful yesterday when the parked Kangoo became a greenhouse..now the ceiling windows are foiled. December 2020, I shall make them double layered to keep the cold out! 

At first I thought I would prefer cotton fabric on the inside of the silver foil but I think it will affect performance. the rear side window shapes fit snug without supports. Fabric would be cosmetic.  Practicality is more important!   In fact I rather liked the silver foil affect.. and of course people know someone is sleeping in the Kangoo!


My friend sewed a very old heavy poly duvet used in the past as an under-duvet into a kind of futon mattress. It's folded into three layers 70cm x 180cm when the sleeping length in the van is 170cm.
We covered it with an EMMAUS old ECRU cotton sheet which cost about 15 euros a few years ago but it is too rough to sleep in so this became the mattress cover.  I didn't have to cover it with a ny pther fab ric although I think I should so that it is hygienic to wash. I have a nice old blue duvet cover, gingham  one side and stripes on the other.
I also spent a lot of money 155 euros on a  b/w but it was very darg green and white futon mattress from BAOBAB.  This was a saga to order online.  The systen refused my cards. I gave up twice , then several days later I called  and the nice lady did the transaction by hand.   I like some comfort... Each can be rolled up.

There is not a lot of space in the van.   

The next task is to gather all I need to take for max of a two or 4 week trek and arrange the stuff  lidded stacking boxes according to available space for travelling and stacking in a different place whilst I sleep!!!!!     H'm.... camping gear, kitchen and food things - 3 boxes... clothing - one box. 

I bought a tailgate tent... for a stand up wash in privacy! That should arrive apx July 4.  This wasn't tried in situ until September but clearly it is not the right size for my Kangoo.  My friend will have to do a sewing job on it once I decide definitely how to do it.   I think she may not be very keen!

After July, I thought of how to use a flat slatted pine board as a bed with space underneath for the boxes. It would easily be removed.   In December I found someone who is currently making it. 

My dream for an adventure is sort of coming true... 

In June two female frtiends and I spent lots of time in discussion, weighing up what to do and how to do it and buying the correct materials.  The best decisions were the blackout fabric from a local shop, far superior to online stuff... and he magnet company.
I watched videos of PAM the van ... Francesca is lovely. Her dog sadly died May 2019.
I watched other ideas on PINTEREST and YOU TUBE.

Just after my birthday in July it was GO GO GO.. and stop faffing around.  I started to pack carefully but the last bits were thrown in in haste.   I took the vision diagnosis to my doctor , travelling in the wrong direction and when I returned I would not allow myself to stop.

I had about 12 days I think it was travelling south to LES ALPILLES to see lavender harvested and  on the way there and back visiting les plus beaux villages de France.
I found mostly free almost empty van sites... not camping sites!

I only came home fot the osteopath aND THEN TO MY HORROR, i discovered the eye clinic needed me.
I was about to have two very bad cataracts operated on!!!!!!!!!! 
Oh is that why I couldn't see very well to drive?????????

Will try to write more as now we are in DECEMBER .. end of the year!!!!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

It would be lovely to hear what you think.