Monday 26 August 2013

Parisians and Pink Champagne

How lovely to entertain for aperos, have everything prepared and then to be given a bottle of pink champagne which I insisted we open.
I know nothing of Champagne except I really liked this one ( photo later )

Now aperos in France means different things to different people at different times of the day and one can never be sure of what it all means. Sometimes one is invited for pre-dinner drinkypoos and another time one is invited to a full scale meal, as that which happened in Bretagne some years ago with my cousin. We arrived at the French friend's house and discovered we were under-dressed...it was a Sunday,  and instead of 'une heure' we were there for 7 hours indulging in one of  the most amazing and memorable meals I have ever been delighted to indulge in.  Fortunately, she and I were not driving!
And so...
In this case two boys, aged 7 and almost 4, who do not go to sleep until 10pm, were to arrive at 7.30pm, because not knowing what to do I gave the family the option on time of arrival. They were only 10 mins late and that is correct in French society!  I hedged my bets and provided a range of nuts, goats cheese, fresh apricots, olives, the best tomatoes, rocket and lettuce from my garden, a stilton and walnut tart with my own made pastry,  plus chocolate cakes in cases for the boys. The youngest person told his parents he loved aperos and was clearly hungry.  He tucked into the pistachios and then the quiche before anyone else and exclaimed how good it was... then he was told to tell me ... as I was the cook!
We were all appreciative of the food and drink. I then opened a bottle of Chinon and later offered tea which was very welcomed.  He asked for spicy tea and voila I have Chai.  Brilliant!
It was a cooler evening but M wished to stay outdoors as long as possible. However, once the dusk and bats had settled for night, we moved indoors, where the boys were drawing and listening to JS Bach 'cello suites. Such a lovely family.  It has taken me two years to return the favour, when New Friend and I were invited to the neighbours' garden for aperos one August.  This was because I always asked them to come just before they had to return to Paris.
This time it has taken a few weeks to get the date, but at last it was my pleasure to give and it was such a successful and easy evening.  I was glad to have made the effort.


1 comment:

It would be lovely to hear what you think.