Wednesday 1 April 2015

Acacia Trees

That tall tree, not in my garden sends out roots apx ten metres distance and up sprouts a new tree. I allowed four to grow in my garden for they were not there five years ago and by last summer they were wonderful with their shady foliage and hammock hanging strength.....but then I noticed their roots!
In the Autumn a friend pruned three and chainsawed through the trunk of one that was in my potager but then roots have been a different issue!
In September a friend sawed one, then in February, Italian helpers sawed down another two and recently a paid gardener took out the fourth.  He and I scraped back the earth until he could get at the narrower roots with his lopper and then with persistent rocking the evil roots came out. I can now plant the potatoes in the 4th part of my potager.
HOWEVER, that acacia tree used to have another tree section that fell into the neighbour's land about two years ago. Now, this main trunk is pushing over the single breeze-block wall which is being held in place mainly by the mound created by the previous occupant of my house. Also there is bedrock there.
The wall was not broken like this in the Autumn.  There has though been a hairline crack for five years. Last  Summer the wall was straight and fine!
The good news is that the neighbour will employ someone to remove the tree and its roots (I hope) and rebuild the dividing wall. She is very conscientious, responsible and caring and does not wish anyone to be injured.  She said "Je se mefier". 
Her garden is really wild and I love it like that and said so but she is remorseful for not paying attention... a kind of out of sight out of mind... and like me ... she has other things to do and cannot cope with so much land.
My gardener erected the new pergola. 
My veggie plot is now divided into four sections by a strip of lawn wide enough for the mower.








The garden beyond the acacia tree.
There are three of these to dig out!

No comments:

Post a Comment

It would be lovely to hear what you think.