Friday 12 February 2016

groanmoan

This must be the worst French "bienvenue" I have ever attended.. it WAS wine... mixed with pamplemousse or something sweet and sickly!  Why can't we have a decent boxed wine!?  Other people manage it and it isn't so expensive! 
Yes please some apple juice as not everyone drinks orange juice. At one event there was cidre and I couldn't find the wine. So home I went!
If the village is so strapped for cash why don't they put the NEW YEAR event at a time when families with children may attend ... not just us old codgers ... and why did it appear that there were few complete "étrangers" there...apart from les Parisiens. etc. At least I learned a few things when I'd also taken my friend, a new owner of a maison secondaire!
As I pointed out at one meeting it is difficult to find out from anyone what is happening in the village.
Why don't they ask us to bring food "à partager" - then sit for an evening meal once the formalities have been endured.   Why do we have to stand???
The Office du Tourisme -'la même' although at least they provided paperwork to support their performance over the year at their AGM... but likewise no decent wine  and the most appalling canapés. Am I such a snob with my French roots?   NO!   What happened to French standards!!!!!!????    I just think we should all give and take ... not just take! 
Admittedly people were friendly... more friendly at the OT event.
WE need to support our village to stop it crumbling under the weight of the financial needs of the crumbling chateau and the weight of more than 15,000 visitors in the summer which transform this village from a morgue into a place of delight... (ah the restaurants - let's not mention those!!!) and the weight of the part time residents who possibly as in Southwold UK are not paying their share of local taxes... I do not know... and draining the resources... although with Southwold it is like Little London!!!!!!and the Londoners and Northerners pile in in droves... It is a family home of mine!!!!!
Why can't we aim to be like a Little Paris... we have the roots of lingerie embroidery here!!!!!!!!!! and of course the English invaded many a year ago... it's my village as much as theirs!
I will try to mention about chateau funding in another post if I find the energy.


No comments:

Post a Comment

It would be lovely to hear what you think.