Monday 8 August 2016

Looking back - starting to update

Looking back from today
starting with yesterday
I shall begin to recreate
a kind of replicate
in photo
in word.

Yesterday 7th August was the 80th anniversary of the Feu d'Artifice which began in my village in 1936, only interrupted during WWII and in 2012, when a very stormy, rainy day, which had cleared by 22h cancelled the event.  It was started to celebrate the first time the people of France had been given paid holiday.
The first candle of a firework fountain or torch burned from the castellations in 1936. Another has been added each year!
I have been privileged over the years to view the drama, hear the commentary and music from several places, I still think the best was the year that "Carmina Burana" belted out!   Although, I have never sat on the island, methinks that next year that would be the pace to be!  Since 2006 I have sat on each side of the river. Once I shared a home made pizza picnic with my lover.  Another time I shared a picnic alone. I sat since the afternoon to preserve myself a place, forlorn with the realisation that love was lost.  One year, at the last minute, I climbed the *** to disturb others, to squeeze a place to sit to watch the spectacle.  It was extremely crowded that particular year; I forget which!  For various years I have stood in a friend's garden by the side of the river.  In 2015 there was a splendid view as the high trees blocking the view had been removed.   It was a good social occasion.  In 2014 and this year I viewed the chateau from not quite as high, but high from the balcony of the grandmother's house of my French-English friends.  A sociable, welcoming family.
This year there seemed to be fewer people. Some are too afraid to be in crowded settings. Some have been advised not to attend such events. The village employed extra security and this is a possibility why some have been intimidated. Several people seemed to be walking in the wrong direction at the wrong hour!  Every year there is a charge. Currently 7e.  I don't mind paying.  However, I think it is a lot of money for a family for less than one hour's entertainment when many firework events are subsidised and free.  So many people were confused this year about parking arrangements and whether they would be able to get home; get out of the village.  I think much more should be done to inform the public.  Small notices are not always clear.  This year there was much more deliberation to remove all vehicles from the streets.  Tractors blocked the entrances to the village and near my house one vehicle flouted the regulation.  I also witnessed verbal abuse insulting an elderly man who works voluntarily.  The French 4x4 local driver was unnecessarily arrogant just because he could not drive through at 5pm precisely.

After the spectacle I went to the funfair.  The children always like to have a go on the ducks, expensive at 4e for ten ducks but they always are given a prize.  The older boy loves to do Shooting the three balloons "Hit Rifle" and after their three family paid sessions I paid for one more. That meant I could have one shot, the children each one, mum and dad each one and then the older boy an extra shot.  I was so surprised to pop two balloons in one having never done it before!  After that I promised the seven year old a dodgems ride.  It's called "Racing Cars". I haven't driven one since I was in my thirties!  Last year, my former partner drove and it was wonderful to LAUGH!  I had to brace myself against the whiplash but this year I seemed much better at physically handling the experience.
It was 5e for three tokens .. three rides,  but they gave me four! Although the boy wanted to hold the wheel and drive I had to take control otherwise we wouldn't have been motionless and prey to all bumpers! Whilst driving, which was great fun, he wanted to bump the others and I pointed out that there was skill in getting around without bumping or being bumped!  We did a few 360 degree circles!  Then I gave each of the younger twins a ride! Again they held the wheel and eventually allowed me to take control of which direction we were going, my arm around them protecting them from being thrown out of the car.
It was half past one when I returned home.  Sandbags were in strategic positions.. I am sorry but I thought security was OTT... six officers overseeing the funfair at that time of night!
Still, it was necessary, I am sure, and the organisers felt supported in their quest to uphold this traditional event for the general public.  In the current climate the village were not intimidated.

I always forget to set the camera on a programme which will take night bright moving light firework shots. This year I also took some with my ipad.  These are from the camera.
I have only edited with ENHANCE and CROP and rather like the weird atmospheric colour!

No comments:

Post a Comment

It would be lovely to hear what you think.