Thursday 2 February 2012

Winter Parts - a prosepoem


Winter Parts

PART ONE
Wrap up well my mother said
as I ventured into sub-zero temperature
for a walk.
There's no work on my house.
PART TWO
Last year the diary said
there was ice on the roads
after skidding up the hill.
There was no work on my house.
Sat in the cold and the sunshine warm
of the lightest room of the darkest house
hey a bit like today
did the finance in a room with light daylight
and electric light
whilst the woodburner glows bright.
Last year we were glad to return
because next day news
reported
hospitals
patiently healing traffic accident patients.
PART THREE
Keep the log fires burning said my friend
churning out heat
requires careful observation
listen to the moment to add a next log
before embers crash
into ash
and flames die.
PART FOUR
Last year today
I finished a book entitled
The Suckers Kiss
then got depressed.
This year today
I finished a book entitled
Notes from Walnut Tree Farm
Roger Deakin
Printed posthumously.
I didn't get depressed. 
Sobbed
is not the word
as I once stood dumbstruck
in a Southwold bookshop
as Wildwood told me news
that he had died quite sadly
before his time.
I never knew.
A wonderful kind and gentle man
funny and serious
interested in the natural existence
of worldly things.
PART FIVE
Today I am happy
Delighted to know the snow
Is helping trees plants and humans
Shed germs and diseases.
Pleased to see jewelled ice beads
Clinging to twigs
Sparkling magically in sunlight.
Laughing at absurdities
Which are necessary learning tools.
Smiling at realisation
Feeling the key of why I can love so many people and so many things,
even those who do me wrong.
I love the snow: it does not love me but it matters not.
I love my hot water bottle: it does not love me but it matters not.
I love my cat and she loves me but it matters not.
I love my friends and family in ways they do not know
It is not for them.
They love me but
They do not have to love me for I love myself,
better than I did before.
My love is my love:
It is not for others. Need not be reciprocated.
This is what is making me feel so happy!
Now I understand. 
There's no work on my house but there's work in my head.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

It would be lovely to hear what you think.