Sunday 14 October 2012

L'Art et Lard - Le Petit Pressigny

The rain fell. Sadly, people did not appear until the afternoon when the sun shone, but as quickly as it arrived, so also did the temperature drop after an electric storm.  Gusty winds eventually blew the grey sky full of rain into differently sized bulbous clouds of varying shades of white and grey.  However, despite the gloomy weather, some people brought laughter and smiles and I was glad to have made an effort in order to support those who had worked so hard to present the event.

Glad too to have entered the tart competition because I learned from it, tasting the winner's offering.  It was won by an English lady who'd added ground almonds, which was interesting in that we were not allowed to have any other form of tart e.g. Tarte Tatin, Tarte Alsace.  So, I'd decided to let the pastry and apples speak for themselves rather than add cinnamon or other flavourings that I love to put in pastry and fillings. Many of the recipes I researched used apple puree as a bed for the sliced apples but I followed one where apples were on a bed of home-made Creme Patisserie!  My apple tart was tasty but did not stand alone in taste as it needed cream or yoghurt.  I discovered THAT afterwards. The Ariane apples were too acidic and too crunchy.  I needed an apple that will squidge down more and cook until soft. I need to cut the slices more uniform. My shortcrust pastry was not sufficiently cooked despite having been baked blind and being in the hottest of ovens as well as baked on metal.  However on the plus side I liked the rustic look of my effort!  Well, it was fun to do. I was Number 4 of 12 entries - usually 30! Every participant received a litre of freshly juiced apple from the apple press. Not bad!

Several artists were not in their appointed places...too wet a day!  I 'm not sure how the artistes and artisans fared with sales but it could not have been rewarding!
Unfortunately, I couldn't muster a wow about much of the art.  My favourite work was by a photographer who was being interviewed by the press. His description of passion for his mother and her pasta making was a joy to listen to, although I did not understand all. I almost bought his book documenting French cafe-bars.  Had I seen before the wonderfully large portraiture, where the crepes were to have been enjoyed?  Feeling tempted to commission a study of my grand-daughter,  I resisted the thought and edged away.  Dominique's decorative pottery is always wonderful. The Illuminated painting on different materials was a marvel with detail and exactitude.  The photography of a red paper dress was appreciated because there was no one present so I had the building to myself!  I would like to see more craftsmen or women working as did Magalie, Eliane, a jeweller and someone who makes the zinc work for rooftops. There was jewellery made with hand made lace which though very interesting was not my style.   Although solitary, I met people I knew. I enjoyed the event, as much as anyone could in such weather, but previous years were better. Such a shame for it was not the fault of the organisers.

The English tea stall had doubled the quantity of cakes they had made and seemed to do a fine trade in keeping us warm.  Thank you Joyce and her team for English scones and Earl Grey tea! Nothing like a cuppa!  

I enjoyed wandering the lanes and having my umbrella turned inside out around the muddied-watered lake but sunshine makes all the difference to an Autumn Fair.
Roof Art
15 kilograms Loaf Art


Door Art




Liquid Art

Camer'Art
Tart Art -'ard to win!

1 comment:

  1. We could have done with a slice of your tart with our cuppas [of Earl Grey... most dissapointed that they didn't have Taylors of Harrogate this year]... but... some of the art was nice... the illuminations on parchment by the lady from Ligueil, Eric Morin's photos [as you described] Akyo Suroshi's ephemeral land-art and Charlotte Guérineau's Japanese influenced panels and ceramics were our favourites... but there were many 'daubings' that should have been left in the studio... or better still, consigned to the shed!
    You look as though you managed to stay for a good while... we chickened out of the morning... nipped the three miles down the road after lunch... shot back here after the surprise thunderstorm to check the Livebox... and then returned for an hour.
    I must look out for that "Roof Art" though...

    ReplyDelete

It would be lovely to hear what you think.