Tuesday 2 October 2012

My first accordion

When I was seven years old Santa gave me this little accordion.
And for a little bit of nostalgia: 
I was told by my father that during the war he was mostly in the back of a lorry on signals, but whilst in Ancona, Italy he heard many an accordion. Today the factories still exist and museums too.  Though I would love to go, I feel I would be filled with sadness, as well as, joy to hear the many sounds and styles of such an instrument that I love to play. It represents freedom for me!

A  few days ago, an English lady whom I met 3 years ago arrived for guidance on how to play it. She had bought one exactly the same but darker red!  I thought she'd paid rather a lot of money but I would need to research that!  It was fun to teach and she made quick progress whilst I made a cup of tea.  It's a very limited instrument as it is child-size.

When I was seven years old, it was my French teacher or she was a teacher who was French (possibly Madame Boucher who taught mathematics) ... who gave me lessons.  I learned to play Three Blind Mice.  She was impressed. It was my earliest recollection that I could be successful at something!  After about three after-school lessons, she visited my house and told my mother I needed to have professional lessons more or less immediately.  I started studies with Martin Lukins. 

I can't wait until my grand-daughter who has already shown interest and ability at the age of 4, is ready to learn to play seriously.  It would be nice to think that I could pass on 'heritage tracks' !!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

It would be lovely to hear what you think.