Saturday 21 December 2013

An electric log splitter

This is for 'puppyfur' who has made an enquiry with regard to an elecric logsplitter.
In France it is called un fendeur / une fendeuse!
I bought mine from Bricomarche and it has been worth the expense even though sometimes I curse it!
It needs two hands for safety: a thumb on the right hand presses the button and the left hand depresses the handle... both at the same time.
I forget how many tons of force it is supposed to create on the log. It is fierce and not completely safe if a log falls off and lands on one's toes so get ready to leap backwards or to one side and mind your fingers too!
Plug the machine into a power source with space around it,  especially for logs to leap forward as they split. If the wood is dry they seem to pop very quickly!  If the wood is knotty then the log won't split and gets jarred onto the wedge so then you need a large metal lever to bash it back off the wedge!  Experimenting with a log to find where it will split can be a bit of a challenge!  I use my machine on the ground... but some people put it on a table... either way you have to lift the logs!!!! The machine is heavy and unwieldy. I also fill the distance between the part that pushes the log and the actual log with a squared section of part of a log which if you are patient will get made!!!! Then the pusher doesn't have to travel so far!
My logs are one metre lengths which arrive at my house cut into thirds. I could do with a merlin or axe-like thingy which I used to use to split logs in my younger days but I don't have the muscle to lift my arms and it high above my head with legs astride and thwack it safely down to see that satisfying split of ancient wood!  Neither can I wield a chainsaw, nor would wish to!  I could do with a set of muscles to help me!

2 comments:

  1. How kind of you to get back to me on this. Thank you for the information and we'll look onto it. We do have a chainsaw already, a cheap one bought at Lidl,but it, too, is very heavy and also very dangerous.....do be careful! I hope your Christmas was joyful and that 2014 will bring you fufillment and peace. X

    ReplyDelete

It would be lovely to hear what you think.