Tuesday 16 July 2019

Learning how to book a short city break solo.

This year, I did not wish to spend yet another birthday in this house alone. Until 2010, my adult birthday day had always been extra special, spent with others, enjoying gifts and cards. It is my gift to my Self, as in Reality,  I am not one to like to be spoiled in that way on other days. 

A year ago I wondered where to travel nearby, for MY BIRTHDAY ALONE, without breaking the bank and body.  Last year with a physical walking problem, I hauled myself out of the house too late in the day to drive for almost two hours in my ageing vehicle to Chenonceaux Chateau, where I mainly sat to eat a beautiful 'late in France' lunch.  I wandered in the chateau as I have seen it many times. This time in awe that I could cross the gallery over the bridge to the island. It was too much for me to walk in the gardens where I sat frequently until closing time.

The physical problems have continued unresolved for a year and more.  

So... a TEST was necessary, that would exercise the groin pain. This year I WOULD go to Paris to do city walks.   Last year, I was too late in becoming brave enough to book the adventure, by which time prices had soared.  After repeated research I booked 4 nights Airbnb in Paris.

In ways unknown I have been energised even though my body feels weary! 

My mantra became: "I am a river flowing...."  or  "I am a leaf floating on a river - drifting at different speeds, hoping not to get stuck or destroyed before I reach my destination". Of course, like me, the leaf is already in a state of decomposition. I am tempted to publish my poem about that concept from 11/2011, but dare not deviate.

I LEARNED & RE-LEARNED to:
1. Gain confidence with each step of achievement. 
2. Control rising panic.
3. Ask friends for advice on what to do and how to do it.
4. Find accommodation. Cancel accommodation. Book better accommodation. My friend says I deserve it. Yes I do!  It was a really good Airbnb for bed, location and privacy.
5a.  Book train ticket - I'd already checked out how to do it and which TGV to catch.
5b. Check station and what to do.
5c. Check what to do for car parking for five days and cost. I didnt wish to poark for free several streets away.
6. Research what to do in Paris.  Last year I'd bought a smaller than A3 sized book which unfolds for each arrondissement describing monuments, restaurants, markets, shops etc.  At Montparnasse my first step was to the newsagents in the station.  I found a good book map for walking - pages split into arrondissements with GRID numbered squares.  It took three days to understood how the logic of how the pages inter related!  Eureka!  The large plastified map was not so useful as it did not easily fold; it was referenced a few times.  Good for planning the next trip!
7. Start a TRAVEL journal... glue / write all details of where to stay and other information. Use it to write in.... (I hardly had any time to write!) The TRAVEL Journal can contain the next trip info.
8. Packing nightmare.  What is the least I can travel with being not a minimalist when I go anywhere|! What to wear?  Weather?  Feet issues mean shoes need to be changed during the day. The sandals, not feet, need deodorant in this heat.  Talcum powder decanted into a small plastic supplement container was used every day to refresh the feet.
9. Start to gather what I need... REJECT more than half over the next few days. Rejected more the night before.  In the morning, screamed at the packing that I hate my clothes and lectured myself for behaving like a child. Told myself this will not do as I have packed at least 5 times and decided I don't like my bags.  Told myself I can do it and will do it. 
10. A few days before I travelled I ordered a new crossbody handbag, a BAGGALINI, which arrived in two days!  It was an excellent travel bag and I even began to like the many pockets - GOOD for memory!    Money here .. passport there... I know I should split valuables but it was better to have one place and have my hand tight on it at all times.
11. In a panic not to be late but already later than my intention, I drove anxiously to the train station, where, despite knowing what to do I tried to enter two bank cards in the machine to obtain a ticket to open the barrier, pressed button for HELP.  A French voice told me all I had to do was press the green button. I pay on exit!   I knew that... Silly me! Fortunately, I was 20 minutes in time to sit and study people travelling. What bags did they carry? What shoes and clothing did they wear?  Where were they going?  Some of course were working!  People very clean and tidy, chic and sophisticated,  even with huge travel bags!
12. Discover train seat numbering - sit - relax - I can do it - Here we go!!!!!!!!!!
Two hours to Paris.
BREATHER: Thank goodness the school contingent were well behaved, because on the homeward journey they were loud and naughty, smashing empty plastic bottles in the folding hinged tables.





No comments:

Post a Comment

It would be lovely to hear what you think.