Sunday 29 April 2012

Aperos

Yesterday, I invited some French friends, who I had not met for a while, for evening aperos.  I served a Baron de Pierre Bordeaux 2008 and I could tell by the way that F swirled the glass and looked at it that it was to his satisfaction.   I've become out of the habit of purchasing cheaper wine in favour of upping the expense. It seems that better wine gets savoured, not quaffed and these days my consumption of wine has reduced.  Maybe I am not drowning my sorrows??!!
I created my strangely folded pastry bites made with sun-dried tomatoes and smoked salmon, or in this case, anchovy hors d'oeuvres...with a platter of dried fruits, nuts and olives. It was a French compliment that E liked the fact that I had not kept the cheese in the refrigerator.  I rarely keep cheese in the fridge as my cold larder room is sufficiently cold to prevent real cheese from running away with itself!
When they arrived, I heard a sentence about "en beauté" ... I asked for this to be repeated. I need to slow down their rapid speech and to comprehend what on earth they were talking about.  F explained that each time they saw me, then my hair, my clothes, ..... not completely understanding 'les nuances d'expression' and being modest to begin with, eventually I had to express an "ooh la la" and laugh, when I realised that they were being charming, as only ever the French are,  courteous, kind and complimentary.   I am not a person of beauty but sometimes I believe I can exude a kind of radiance and delight to be with company.  When not alone in my head, I feel as if I am a different person. I'm writing this information to myself so that I can learn to keep my morale on the up!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

It would be lovely to hear what you think.