Tuesday 22 January 2013

Debrouiller

Je me débrouille assez bien en français - Modestly, I think I get by fairly well in French, although I MUST learn more.
A few days ago the bank manager referred to my good command of French and that house renovation which I referred to, was,  debrouiller.  I can't remember exactly what he said for I was intent on noting a new word! I could spell this new word and he affirmed it was something like ameliorer ... which it is not, not really!  But what I see he meant, was that I was coping and managing to sort out the challenges!!!   Yes, that is true, despite gloom and doom, there is celebration, as I really am coping with many layers, surviving to be a much stronger person than what I was three to seven years ago and more! Regaining my independence and attempting to banish the bad habits that I have developed over the last 8 years!
Débrouiller is such a lovely sounding word meaning to untangle and sort out! ... and if reflexive as in
Se débrouiller  it means to have a working knowledge of something, as well as to cope.
Je me débrouille. Rsearch says it could mean "smart", as in resourceful e.g. (un débrouillard).
I love words. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

It would be lovely to hear what you think.