Wednesday 30 January 2013

January renovation round-up

At the end of the first month progress has been slow but beautifully meticulous.
It is lovely without draught, therefore warmer. A heady 18 degrees this morning even though the woodburner was out.
Last jobs are battling with F&B paint to stick to ancient gloss around two sets of French doors. YES, a bedroom with 5 doors, but it should make a lovely chambre d'hôte! Tiles in the bay window will soon be bedded and jointed.
We'd re-painted the walls which had been done nicely two years ago, but my attempt at moving the roller on a broom handle was so inadequate and BAD that when the last of the work is finished we are going to remove the bed and repaint the walls.  Anyway, I never liked the colour of Wickes Ivory. It was suppose to be a base coat but frankly I do not recommend it even though it was inexpensive. Y' pays yer money!   The problem is also the texture of the plasterboard...we may have to sand it to get rid of the bobbles.  I'm thinking of a very pale grey to go with Skimming Stone.

When the Spring weather arrives I shall paint the outside of the external doors and windows to 5 rooms.

I could never ever dream of diminishing the efforts that my friend has made in his life to support and help me and though there are changes some things never change.  I can as always commend his workmanship and so do others. It is not perfect but his perfectionism is a joy for me to enjoy and always has been ever since I met him 39 years ago when he dug a ditch  to provide foundations to a house where we discovered the extension was subsiding!  We always got on well even then and so it was a surprise when we discovered we were both single about 15 years ago.  It has been somewhat of a shock that our friendship and his dream to be with me has suffered for lack of perfection, has suffered because we could not bring it back from the brink or we did not have the attributes to save ourselves.


No comments:

Post a Comment

It would be lovely to hear what you think.