Wednesday 20 November 2013

Hauling an elephant


Yesterday, and for several days, it has felt as if I am hauling an elephant around my house and garden.
I like elephants. A ride in Sri Lanka about 14 or 15 years ago was amazing with the elephant's matou leading the way.  Shall I call my be chum "trum" ?
I need to get fit ... not that I was ever, ever fit, but stamina is now at zilch. Today, we, that is, me, me and me, wrapped the incoming water pipes positioned in the attic with even more insulation material at huge expense to alleviate anxiety of  potential burst pipes. Most probably unnecessary but I am listening to intuition.  I think there was just one tiny leak last winter but it's better not to take risks. Winters in France have been sub zero and yes, I do need my winter fuel payment.
I made myself tackle the courtyard plant troughs because they are not frost proof and have to be taken indoors. A nuisance. I replanted the zonal geraniums altogether to move them into an attic to see if they will survive. I was without success last year when I put them into the exterior building which must have been too dark and cold. The village gardeners keep geraniums in a room indoors throughout the winter so I am spurred to try again.
The troughs of heavy water saturated soil were lifted carefully using my weak arm and wobbly foot whilst the elephantine feeling began to disappear. I managed  to do what should have taken half of the time.  Some plants like my camellias in pots will be wrapped in bubble wrap.  I pruned the rose rambler, moved things to the back garden, swept the paving slabs and split a few logs with the indispensable electric log spitter.  With a brief blue sky above, I admired the view as I sat with a cup of tea and a slice of Liz's banana and pecan nut cake which was nicely squidgy and JUST delicious!

Now where is that elephant hiding?





3 comments:

  1. I haven't caught up with you in a while, but it seems like you, a very strong woman, are hanging in there. Well done and I'm going back to catch up on your posts. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. By the way, what is an electric log splitter? Sounds like we could use one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Strong minded maybe and sometimes, often quite weak willed!!
    But thank you anyway!

    ReplyDelete

It would be lovely to hear what you think.