Friday 22 November 2013

Freedom out and about

A haircut whilst speaking French and English with my friend was excellent therapy.  Seeing the rising rushing river against the bridge towers made me feel alive.  I was in wonderment at how quickly the new development of a new car park, cinema and tourist office in Chatellerault has been achieved.
I always try to go to Chez Fred in the market place to have a hot chocolate drink or lunch.  Yesterday was a surprise. I entered to find the floor covered with straw.  On walls and surfaces were veggie crates filled with straw and cut out paintings of rabbits and chickens.  From the ceiling and light fittings there were branches of wisteria, cutout paintings of bunches of grapes and maroon balloons to represent the grape. Some people sat on straw bales. No I hadn't made a reservation.  Never mind I said as I was about to leave without being served a coffee as there was nowhere to sit.  Meanwhile, Fred is waving an empty glass in front of me and indicating the barrel and bottles of Beaujolais Nouvelle, asking if I wanted lunch and finding a place for me to squeeze into. Despite my good intention to save money and to eat frugally my sandwich, "Pourquoi pas" sprang into my mouth, an opportunity to participate unexpectedly. For 10 euros I was stuffed with the buffet volonté, which Fred brought on huge serving dishes. There was no space to wander about.  Apple bread rolls were on plates.  The terrine was so delicious and I did not dare ask which meat!  I declined the black and white pudding and rillette or is it rillande, but accepted the most tasty of cold chicken, carpaccio, cheeses and green salad with tomatoes.  It was cheaper to buy a bottle but I couldn't drink that and when the French people on my table chinked glasses they were reluctant to do so with me because I had water after two small glasses of wine but when Fred brought a third glass they cheered appreciatively for it was that day in the year when Beaujolais is officially released and why they were there for the ambiance and atmosphere of Chez Fred. It was really a paid party!!  With a dessert of pears, cherries and Beaujolais wine confiture and an espresso coffee, my bill was just under 20e without the tip. BRILLIANT. What did it matter ?   I was stuffed.   With colour to my cheeks, sober and within driving limits. I felt alive again. 
I should never leave home without the camera. I considered it but thought it unnecessary,
I'm putting the date in my diary for next year and must get a small group of friends together to make a reservation. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

It would be lovely to hear what you think.