Sunday 2 March 2014

Book Review: Eric Clapton The Autobiography

An Icon. A Legend. God of Blues and of Guitar. Loved by so many!

I didn't realise he was and is a recovering alcoholic and of cocaine, but I'm not surprised, even though then, it was the days of sex 'n drugs 'n rock 'n roll!  He endured much therapy before recognising and accepting his inner happiness in the position of a family man with Melia and their three daughters and he has an older daughter.  Sadly, his young son died accidentally. His song 'Tears in Heaven' reflects upon that loss.
Eric was shy, insecure, with many obsessions/addictions and was fortunate that from his music he had an excellent income to supply those desires. A lonely soul finding it difficult to sometimes integrate behind the mask of who he thought he was. Yet it was his public persona that endeared him to so many: a brilliant musician, a perfectionist, an idealist, a modest man.  He confesses to anger and disagreeable attitudes which cost him dear and momentarily lowered his status in my eyes (because I can't handle anger!)  but by the time I'd finished reading his memoir, he was raised again to the Wonderful Man that I love for his music and for the perceptive and intuitive person whom I see and hear when he sings the lyrics of his songs and those written by others.  Goodness knows how his women/wives coped or didn't cope with his absences as well as his addictions.  I like to think that perhaps they were forgiving and some not without personal issues because no matter how rich we are, we are all the same: we are human!
I admire Eric Clapton for writing about his personal and professional life in intimate detail.  I can feel him sitting next to me TELLING his story.  Of course, it is history how he inveigled Pattie Boyd to be his lover and how George Harrison agreed.  It is a Story of Unrequited Love.  He recounts his personal and professional self discovery and his absorption with The Blues.   He shows his struggles and redemption.  He says he needed to be good at other things than being a musician.  It was a revelation when he was asked "Who are you?', whilst receiving therapy and being on withdrawal from alcohol and drugs. Later in the book, page 282, he describes how he was confronted with the statement; "Tell me who you are" and found it a struggle to do so.
(I haven't been an alcoholic though I have to my shame known the edge, the precipice. I suppose I am one because giving up the glass or two of wine on a daily basis seems an impossibility for me, although Rooibus tea really helps! It's a small treat. A small blessing at my age! In my own self discovery I have held back from drowning in any form of alcoholic bliss, which is escape.   Maybe everyone has to, at some stage, CHALLENGE the question of WHO we are and WHAT we are and how we fit into the world.  It is human and normal but brings us up sharp to realise we have much to be thankful for.)
I loved and enjoyed reading about The Yardbirds, Cream, Ginger Baker, Jack Bruce, Derek and the Dominoes, Jimi Hendrix, Bob Dylan, The Rolling Stones, The Beatles and many other musicians. In the 70s I saw Ginger Baker play live.  It seemed rather strange for me to be reading about an era in the late 1960s, when I wasn't allowed to go to the music clubs mentioned in Eric's well-scripted, frank, soul bearing, spirited, painfully joyous life story.
I've always wanted to meet him... and if I did I would go very weak at the knees! I can play "Layla", "Wonderful Tonight", "I Shot the Sheriff", and all the rest ALL DAY, EVERY DAY but I don't because there is so much lovely music in the world.
"Unplugged" 1992  is one of my favourite albums - but hey, they are all favourites!
 Eric demonstrates his love, compassion, dedication.  I'm glad his life has become a happier one and of course, Luck has been his Lady despite the ordeals.  
A true Legend. A true Icon in Musical History.
I borrowed this book from a friend and need to return it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

It would be lovely to hear what you think.