Saturday 8 March 2014

Hopelessly wrinkled

On 6th March I washed and ironed the new Egyptian cotton bedlinen from The White Company bought July 2013.  Hopelessly wrinkled.  I tired inwardly whilst steam ironing after what felt like two hours on and off .... and so washed the duvet cover and sheet again at 30C, as indicated. This time I reduced the spin speed and ironed whilst wet according to the instructions and dried on the line.  Previously I had ironed whilst damp.  Again Hopelessly wrinkled.  I've phoned the company who say they have not heard of this problem before and as it is past 30 days since I made the purchase they probably can't refund.  However, they will send a return post label and the technical team will look at £133 worth of bedlinen and if they cannot refund, will send it all back to me!
I don't understand why the 4 pillow cases are acceptably crinkled, wrinkled after ironing... but the sheet and duvet cover are rather like that dress fabric which has been crushed, pleated, crumpled and wrinkled...... I wouldn't put this bed linen on my own bed.  I've read that with repeated washing the fabric gives in and the wrinkles disappear but I can't quite believe that in this modern age of instant gratification!
It is so annoying as I wasted much time today trying to prepare beds for the Italian guests.  I am using them as guinea pigs for the chambre d'hôte .... I'm not sure I like giving up my perfect room and the cleaning has to be impeccable with not a cobweb, spider or feather in sight.  It's worse because the opportunity arose without me thinking it through, as it is good to help people, do the voluntary mine host thingy.  I often step into situations where I think after the event!!!!!  Fortunately, my friend stepped in to suggest that this and that could be achieved.  I was so pleased as other efforts to bring people in to help have failed or not yet come to fruition..
HOWEVER...
The guests are absolutely charming in that Italian way... Bellissimo... and this morning I am thinking that although the current arrangement is a little difficult, it could work if I were to get a toilet and shower in another part of the building. Is it worth the hassle and expense, I ask myself? 
 We enjoyed MY FISH PIE .. every version different.. and a Coeur de Neufchatel cheese which I bought over a month ago, stored in the fridge, took out yesterday morning for it to breathe and there is hardly any left!!!!!!! The Paschka whilst delicious was too calorie / fat laden for my lovely guests...and in my fridge which is a freezer it makes delicious ice-cream!

3 comments:

  1. It is true about repeated washing by the way, especially with actual linen (not so much with cotton). What is the thread count? Are they 100% cotton or a cotton / polyester blend?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I try to avoid polyester. It must be 100% cotton. The blurb says: "high quality 200 thread count, pure Egyptian cotton percale........ launders beautifully.......Wash at 30C. Remove promptly from machine, Iron whilst damp " I did that! But it did not say which spin cycle which I think is remiss of the company.
    Thank you for your knowledge. Do you think I should do repeat wash without drying at 30C or cold wash on the lowest spin cycle until I can't see any or many creases? It would be less hassle than returning the bedlinen if it works!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would wash again according to the instructions. My guess is that not all the size has come out of them (in which case washing again should fix them) or some of the threads have shrunk (in which case nothing will fix them).

      Delete

It would be lovely to hear what you think.