Tuesday 11 March 2014

Flying colours

I was very happy to host accommodation for guests, one of whom I only met for about 10 minutes or so in September 2013.  They were extremely, embarrassingly generous with gifts of wine, coffee, nibbles and hand-made biscuits exquisitely presented all from Italy.  I celebrate and share the very warm glow of their comment:
"Thank you so much for your wonderful hospitality, generosity and lovely company." 
They are lovely people and are coming to live in my village.  It was my pleasure to meet them. And I am invited there!
 
My Italian vocabulary is veritably non-existent. I learned a little in music college for singing but now I need to have a crash course of study!  Fortunately, J is a linguist and could translate English into Italian for A who understands French. Another incentive to improve my French speaking, to learn French phrases, to think in French, to improve conjugaison and word order!!!!  Oh, workload and study must increase!

Evidently, the potential chambre d'hôte,  has passed the inspection test with flying colours.  Wow!!!!!
I need to get other domestic issues in place before I can achieve this ideal!

I have so much to thank my former partner for.  I could never have achieved the transformation of this house and garden alone or without him.  We have worked together as a team.  I know it has been hard for me (and probably him) and we have been through the most terrible of storms once the sea started to get choppy, when enmity replaced love, but I wish to celebrate HIM and HIS ACHIEVEMENTS, HIS attempt to make his workmanship impeccable.  Nothing is perfect in old houses and some stuff one lives with and after a while one does not see the imperfections!!!!   As he says "Who would have thought that someone who lived in an ultra modern home would ever live here in this French house by herself?"
 It is true that he had to lever me out of one house to another and from one country to another and face the fears that emotionally and physically paralysed me.  A friend indeed.

I thank him publicly for all the difficult times and fun times we had together.  He helped me be who I am, what I am and where I am. I changed and yet have not changed. I have grown up! And perhaps he has too!  I did my best to help him and support him but along the way we grew apart.  It is true that trauma is necessary as a learning tool but I wish it upon no one as I have had more than enough of trauma in my life time and now I feel as if I am beginning to live! I am afraid of the future but ready for the challenge. I hope he is too!

When I was in the classroom I learned not very much about my inner self ... and who I am... but since early retirement and that major op,  I have kept learning,  even though I did get stuck in a rut along the way!

1 comment:

  1. Well done. I'm glad it all went smoothly, and that as well as being host you also enjoyed the company of some new neighbours.

    ReplyDelete

It would be lovely to hear what you think.