Thursday 13 June 2019

Pottery Project

It has been many weeks working at sculptural form.

I'd seen a garden sculpture that inspired, when I was asked what I wished to make.  This was discussed and I was shown how to start but my result will be vastly different than the inspirational piece.  Once started, and after a few weeks, I realised that I was enjoying the process of being so absorbed for two hours in trying to master techniques to mould clay, that it didn't matter how slowly the item would reach a finished state.

I am grateful to the professional artist / teacher who rescued and inspired when I talked about the structure having an air of becoming a chateau for a plant.    The humour from the class was that it was a rhubarb forcer, a Civray Nuclear Energy chimney, a Staffordshire pottery chimney, a chimney... but then it transformed.  "What will you do with it?" they asked in French, before it had holes, and then when it had holes, hilariously offering all manner of suggestions.

But with TIME not on my side the teacher drilled out the holes once I had cut out the larger ovals.   He needed the item to go into the kiln for biscuit firing.
It took almost two hours to sand remove knobbles.... and then glaze.  Much waiting, as it was a demanding session for the teacher, but a good opportunity to watch, listen and learn to the stages that others were at with each of their individual creations.  Some were making bowls and plaques, others masks and plates, and one was making figurative, imaginative models.

It started life as coils of clay building upwards and inwards.  Instead of winding roses around the form it became a staircase...the top wasn't what I had tried to create so I cut it off! It has been glazed an awaits a second firing in the kiln... along with a coned roof piece which MIGHT fit or not.






Final Piece to appear here when completed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

It would be lovely to hear what you think.