Sunday 18 September 2011

Brocante in Angles sur L'Anglin

September 2011
Not much left by the mid-afternoon!
Whether one calls it the end of Summer or the start of Autumn "Les estivales" have ended with the seasonal brocante.  A brocante implies that the stalls will veer more towards antiques than car-boot objects but I don't think anyone takes notice.  My stuff was certainly vide-grenier grade!  I truly did go up to my attic late last night and sort the items which I had reserved for the day when I would become courageous enough to sell in French!  The day had come.
A french friend had suggested that I could if I wish have a table in front of his garage door. I was to sell hist items but he only made one sale!  Unwittingly, he'd given me inspiration, courage and a reason for 'the kick up the pants' I needed to try and sell the saved junk from when I bought this house plus a few of my own rejects included.  My daughter also had a say in the matter and advised me that this should be a priority for my weekend.
I was suitably surprised and at the end of the day I was somewhat richer and lighter than I had been in the morning. There was no time to feel anxiety on my first ever in my lifetime vide grenier/ car boot sale because action required loading up my car, driving the short distance, unloading, returning the car to chez moi and setting up the table display.  There was no one to recognise or cause me embarassment about what I had on the table and ground!  In fact, surprisingly after a short while I did not feel at all ashamed of my things and a lot of the "rubbish" found new homes!   I priced it all low, so low that at one point I heard someone say in French that 5 cts was no price at all and it was therefore as good as free!  I also had a gratuit box which amused some and astonished others.  I am glad to have given things away for free; no one would have purchased what I gave away so the joy was in my pleasure because I did not have to take it home!  The box gradually emptied. One person even gave me a euro because she could not accept the 6 glasses for free.  Clothes went well at 10 cts per item, although I priced a jacket at 1 euro!  Some of what is left will be taken to Emmaus and some will go towards the next Brocante/Vide Grenier which will probably be in the Spring!
I was very tired by the end of the day as the cold wind had become bracing taking body warmth with it! Rain spotted during the afternoon.  By 5pm the clouds were beginning to look foreboding! Even though I packed everything away before 5pm, walking home to get the car, packing the car and taking it home again took almost another hour.  Then the friend had to take his dog for a walk and close the gallery so we were just in time to get a beer in "La Place" before they also closed their doors for the night.
At one point during the day I had a chance to reflect.   Yes, it was interesting to people-watch and when there were few people, it was almost meditational to sit and do little except wait for the next transaction.  The French are getting good at bargaining! Savvy vendors know to price UP the product because some buyers WILL price it DOWN!  There was only one object that I would not reduce; it was a tiny, decorative, brass watering can for a very small cactus or pansy; later the chap returned to pay the 50cts!  It seems I made less than 6 euros per hour so I was not jumping for joy but neither displeased; in fact, it was my pleasure to have empty boxes! Ho hum...... I know there is more emptying of my attic to do!
I learned that I did not need anyone to help me sort, carry, set up, and sell stuff.  I could speak in French, be understood and there were only a few occasions when parlance was not understood and we had to search our heads for other phrases. Everyone was so polite, even those who recognised from my accent that I was English.
I've come along way on my journey in France and today gave me pride, pleasure and self-esteem.

1 comment:

It would be lovely to hear what you think.