Sunday 25 September 2011

Symphony for an Autumn Solstice

September 2011
In the Tourist Office is a poster for a concert featuring Doublebass and Symphonien - hm..looks interesting!  What better way ‘to glam up and do something different'.
The concert was advertised to be in a village where I know several people, therefore the opportunity to converse in English was inviting. The name of the property sounded rather grand and being as there are some beautiful properties in Boussay and I'm going to an evening concert, I chose a little French black dress, my Wallis black jacket, black court shoes, my Sri Lankan necklace and I felt confident, happy and a woman! However….standard French attire in this region, meaning trouser, jeans or slacks would have been more appropriate!
It was to be a 30 mile return journey so I googled (such an interesting modern verb) the venue and yes, it was quite some way further north of the village!  Google does not lie, but in disbelief, as surely Boussay has a forge, I proceeded to the village.  Dusk is falling. No one is visible. I stop at the only house where I can see a flicker of humanity and ask for directions. Sure enough Google is correct! Would you believe that in the few moments that I'd parked my car and crossed the road to speak to the gentleman, another car arrived to enter the dark cul-de-sac!  Never assume in France that there is no one about! Onwards, past l'eglise and le chateau, alongside castle walls and head down smaller lanes, eventually crossing the disused railway line, over two river bridges, along narrower lanes and there it is clearly signed "La Forge", un Salon du Thé, which appears to be in the middle of nowhere. I drive in the narrow entrance and park alongside one other vehicle and enquire of the small huddle of people whether there is a concert here tonight.  Mais oui!
We pay for a ticket to a most charming lady and we wait in the open barn which clearly is a tea room!  Chairs around a white linened table are covered with old French cotton smocks / petticoats.  The table is laid with some food. Other chairs of various styles and age are scattered around the pea-shingled earth floor. There is a huge, fairly modern, cooking range against one wall and interesting paraphernalia.  Fascinating.  These days in my life I try not to pre-judge because I am always attentive for the French surprise!  Feeling overdressed but not bothered by this small matter, I wait calmly and patiently because the hour that the concert should start has well passed.  Eventually as the chouette (owl) hoots, we are ushered up a grassy slope at the back of the barn, where we emerge  in the upper floor of the barn for another surprise. The French would say "chouette".  A medley of seats are arranged in a huge attic not dissimilar to mine.  Wow… there is the double bass and there is a table arranged with drinking glasses filled with different levels of water. This is the Symphonien!!!!!!! There were about 35 various shaped glasses filled with different levels of water, all tuned and arranged like a piano keyboard.  It takes the musician an hour to tune them.  He started to learn with two glasses eight years ago!  We listened to their version of  “Autumn Leaves”,  "Gymnopiedes no 1",  "Caravan".
I was in awe at the talent.  Quite remarkable.  It gave a whole new meaning to when my father and uncles would have their scientific experiments and play with glasses and water to amuse us children!
And now the wonder of the internet brings us other glass music:
During the concert, a warm red blanket was gratefully received to cover my bare legs!  It's Autumn and the barn was exposed to the cold night air! After the concert and when everyone had had a chance to wet their fingers and rub the glasses, we returned to the ground floor where we sat and chatted over a glass of wine. The artists had their supper which seemed to be nettle soup, a savoury tart, cheeses, salad and small tea cakes. I excused myself at a quarter to midnight. Everyone had been so convivial. I'd approached people, spoken in French and one gentleman appeared to be impressed with my level of French pronunciation even though I am still making huge grammatical errors.   The evening concert WAS an extremely different experience.
Can you believe that when I need it, I never have my camera but all was not lost as the owner of the house sent me these.

No comments:

Post a Comment

It would be lovely to hear what you think.