Monday 26 September 2011

Lighting woodburners as dark nights draw in.

September 2011
The woodburner installer returned to show me how to operate the levers on my brand new woodburner and keep it burning throughout the night.
I'd followed instructions carefully,  gradually increasing the size and intensity of the fire over several lightings since June. This is important so as to not shock the enamel.  I had also been slowly building up a bed of ash.  He thought that I had not been charging the fire sufficiently with plenty of paper and small kindling wood before adding the oak logs.  Once the fire has been going strongly for about an hour, I can close the vents.  The steel pipes that go up into the chimney to meet the flexible pipe need to be hot. The same thing at night.  Before I wish to go to sleep I must charge up the fire so that it is burning brightly and fiercely, then close the dampers.  He says it should stay in overnight if I do that.  In the morning again charge it with lots of paper and small pieces of wood again until the fire is fierce before adding the small logs to begin with and then the larger ones.
I was also instructed in how to open the front door and side door. Basically because I have a side door I should not have to open the front door once the fire is well lit. However I still feel that the fire is not drawing enough draught.
My second woodburner is the same brand but a smaller version.  I bought woodburners which are made by Dovre with the Seguin brand name on them. Nothing else is different except the price!  This woodburner in my Oval Room sounded as if it was dead when I lit it on two occasions.  The second time I managed to confirm that smoke was emitting from the exterior of the woodburner into the room! Oh horror.  The doors had to be opened and left open to get rid of the smell of smoke.
However, the charming and helpful Monsieur Jerome Lachaume arrived and solved the mystery by sweeping my pristine new enamelled steel pipes visible in the room and the flexible piping within the chimney itself.  No, it was not blocked with rags which we thought might have been left up the chimney during the previous winter when we were renovating, trying to prevent heat from the electric radiator escaping up an open chimney.  No, it was not a wasps nest.  He said it was a spider's web and has seen this happen before even in huge chimneys.  The silk prevents the air passing through! 
He lit the fire.  Problem solved. There was no smoke coming out of the air vents and entering the room. The fire sounded alive and burned brightly.  Like the other one I must over 4 or 5 days charge it so that the enamel does not get shocked and again to build up a bed of ash.
The larger one is singing away to itself as I write.  Hummmmmmm!
ADDENDUM: several days later I still have room full of smoke when I lit the smaller woodburner. Something is wrong! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

It would be lovely to hear what you think.