Thursday 19 July 2012

Asian Hornets and the saga of the removal of a nest

I am advised to call in the Exterminator.  How annoying!
The droning surprised me when I was weeding.  I thought "Help! These are the nasty ones that we have been warned about",  but couldn't remember what they were called until my friend confirmed that they are indeed Asian Hornets soemetimes called Asian Waps.  Read what Planete Passion has to say! and Days on The Claise.  They kill bees.  I think I ought to try and eradicate the nest myself as I can't afford 100 euros for the pompiers (firemen).  Nevertheless I will report it to the Maire.  Normally, I would let insects be (hear the pun) but I certainly don't need a danger zone at the bottom of my garden!
I wonder why they are sometimes called Asian wasps when really they are hornets and I wonder if it is because of their Latin/Italian name: Vespa Velutina Nigrithorax
Postscript: A few days later .. I have decided to do it myself, under stealth at night when evidently they will have gone to bed!  I have bought the spray and will get donned up with protective clothing. Hopefully they will not see me!
Another postscript:  I have been wondering if the queen only flies to make new nests in Spring or whether it happens throughout the summer.  I need to research on HOW the queen makes the workers and guards!  I have forgotten my biology / zoology!
Postscript 20 July 2012: They appear to not be there.It's colder and there has been rain. However, I sprayed at 10.00 pm and not a murmur as I sprayed the nest.  It was difficult to spray the jet UP into the nest. Then I whacked the nest with a garden rake and ran like hell!!!!!
Postscript 21 July 2012 10 a.m. : Returning gingerly to the site I can see two frelons (hornets) within a hole in a breezeblock attending to an egg and I can see the honeycomb, signalling that the nest is behind the no more than 6 breezeblocks that define a wall between what has become my rockery and where I used to pile the lawn clippings on top of previous rubble. I knew this pile needed removal!  So now ... I realise that the part of the nest that I have removed was not a small nest but was merely the porch!  I will have to consider what to do and whether the spray that I have is sufficient. Me thinks not and that the spray will not penetrate deep into the nest. It is impossible to determine the size of it as it is concealed.  I got buzzed whilst I was LOOKING. The guard started circulating!  I retreated, deciding not to go near that area of the garden! Pretty scary...when recently a woman in France died from a sting!
Last postcript 26 July 2012:   We smoked them out with a trail of petrol to their nest set alight,  then hosed the nest inside the hole in the breeze block wall.  I will leave it for a day and then start to fork out the debris that is in the old grass cuttings and rubble pile in the corner of the garden... I need to get a wheelbarrow..... All this in scorching heat of the day when the cicadas are singing!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

It would be lovely to hear what you think.