Sunday 15 July 2012

Vous avez une barricade

Now, I can't help it if my gates are like a barricade.  I inherited them.  I affectionately refer to them as Fort Knox. 
I am at a loss to know how to replace them with gates that are more friendly to those outside and those within!  They are 2.90m wide when most gates are at least 3.00m in width. They open immediately onto the road.  My courtyard is within.  It's nice sometimes to keep the world OUT and have privacy and yet sometimes I want to open up so that I can see the real world go by and they can see in!
When a passing lady referred to them as 'une barricade' it made me smile as well as feel slightly numb!  I was indeed paying attention to security, locking my gate against the hoards of visitors whilst I attended the village event.  I stopped the delightful French lady in her tracks, re-opened the gates to show her my house and explained that doors were windows and windows were doors and so, if I do not lock the gates and leave my windows which are doors open, then all manner of people could intrude.  She understood, saying 'c'est normale' in the way that only the French can use this descriptive phrasal clause.     Ho hum!!!!!!!!

The gates face the western sun. At this time of year to leave them open until 10pm or later when the sun has warmed the stone walls so that the courtyard has an ambient warmth is a wonderful thing to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment

It would be lovely to hear what you think.