Friday 27 July 2012

Leisure

... for me is difficult to achieve. Really I am not sure what it means.  It is hard to sit and do nothing these days, although certainly this kind of heat helps.  BUT I DO... I sit and browse the internet until I am BORED... and this doesn't help me as the screen becomes an addiction. Working at a friend's house for four days has caused a certain exhaustion,  but I will rebound.  There are loads of jobs to be achieved, including sitting still if I can to do accounts, paperwork, planning, domestic duties, etcetera.
Exhaustion brings the first line of this poem into my head as I wonder about the meaning of life, which I know IS: BE HAPPY, HAVE FUN, KEEP MOVING, BE KIND TO OTHERS.
However, I envy those who appear to LIVE and JUST BE whilst seemingly having fun, doing not a lot. Oh, in England when in the company of a lot of people... there was time to natter, time to play with children, time to eat, time to have fun, time to have Leisure. 
Leisure by William Henry Davies
What is this life if, full of care, 
We have no time to stand and stare.
No time to stand beneath the boughs
And stare as long as sheep or cows.
No time to see, when woods we pass,
Where squirrels hide their nuts in grass.
No time to see, in broad daylight,
Streams full of stars, like skies at night.
No time to turn at Beauty's glance,
And watch her feet, how they can dance.
No time to wait till her mouth can
Enrich that smile her eyes began.
A poor life this if, full of care,
We have no time to stand and stare.
The internet allows access to information, although I take some with a pinch of salt because not all of it is always factual. However, on Wikipedia we can read about this Welsh born poet.  The life of  W.H. Davies was quite remarkable for the man's determination to succeed in whatever he did, despite his atrocious injury. He had a colourful life which makes mine seem so dull.
Which brings a reminder of a traditional ditty that I used to play on the accordion when I was about 10 years old! Evidently it pre-dates the reign of James II, originating from a French chanson. I wonder which one? There are many versions but this one is from Yorkshire. 
  Begone Dull Care    
Begone, dull care! I prithee begone from me;  Begone, dull care! Thou and I can never agree.
    Long while thou hast been tarrying here, And fain thou wouldst me kill;
    But i' faith, dull care, Thou never shalt have thy will.
     
    Too much care Will make a young man grey; Too much care Will turn an old man to clay.
    My wife shall dance, and I shall sing, So merrily pass the day;
    For I hold it is the wisest thing, To drive dull care away.
     
    Hence, dull care, I'll none of thy company; Hence, dull care, Thou art no pair for me.
    We'll hunt the wild boar through the wold, So merrily pass the day;
    And then at night, o'er a cheerful bowl, We'll drive dull care away. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

It would be lovely to hear what you think.