Friday 3 August 2012

A Bilberry Cake

.Life is not exact nor is the weight of these ingredients!

Preheat the oven to about 200C but all ovens are different.
My inherited ancient oven has no temperature .. just numbers!!!!!
So keep an eye on the cake, adjust temperature and timing as necessary.
I used a springform cake tin greased with butter or oil.
 
Cream together 150 g butter with 150 g sugar. Beat in 2 or 3 eggs with a large dollop of crême fraîche or milk. Add 1 or 2 teaspoons of vanilla or lemon essence.

In another bowl mix 150g ground almonds with 150g rice flour, spelt or wheat flour.
Add about 2 tsp baking powder and 200 grams bilberries.

Fold the wet mixture into the dry mixture and add extra milk if required to make a loosely thick batter that holds together....  The bilberries can be folded in after the flour but for me that would be two lots of folding in!   Pour the gloop into the tin and bake for 30-45 minutes until the cake is done. 
Once cooled, the cake could be covered with lemon icing but my palate is rather tired of such frivolous sticky messes and so a spoonful of crême fraîche or ice cream may suffice or nothing at all does suffice.  I tried two dollops as biscuits and mighty good they were.

1 comment:

  1. When I get some bilberries I'll try this out. It looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete

It would be lovely to hear what you think.