Monday 13 August 2012

Martin Lukins Accordionist

Martin Lukins plays The wedding of the Painted Doll.

 For almost 5 years this was my accordion teacher. I knew he was famous but did not know he had produced records.  I had regular lessons and used to try and practise scales  as well as pieces for often up to 4 hours a day if I could.  It was my escape route from the family and television. I sat in the front living room at the age of 10 hardly able to get my nose over the 100 bass instrument that I played today in the French village where I live.
I stopped having lessons when I was 12.  It was a shame because I was working on fast Italian pieces, musette style French tunes, classical arrangements such as William Tell and also playing in accordion band which was fun but I was not that keen. Later I joined a theatrical group and performed on stage. Later still I used to play at the outdoor fairs in a mock French costume with sparkles on my face.
I wish I could play as fast as him but I am content with what I do..it is my own style!!!!




1 comment:

  1. I went as a civvy to RAF Uxbridge in 1956 for my examination for joining the Central Band of the RAF. I played accordion and assumed that the RAF would have one readily available and a flustered delay in walked my hero, Martin Lukins with his accordion. (I think he was a corporal)He 'tested' me and I passed the exam, only to be later told that I would have to sign on for 5 years rather than the 2 years National Service. I said I'd think about it and decided on National Service. Ken

    ReplyDelete

It would be lovely to hear what you think.