Friday 31 August 2012

Homage to a Mouse


I am sorry little mouse
that I killed you in my house
In truth I had no choice
For you had no human voice
To tell me you were sorry and were alone like me
Far from all your friends and mousey amity.

Possibly you knew
that your shelter in the wall
was doomed to meet your fall.

I truly am most sorry pretty little mouse
That I had this deed to do in my lovely old stone house
To hear the trap snap shut
Whilst your precious life was cut
‘Twas the end of mousey company
With your small sweet face staring up at me.

I saw your body throbbing
It made me shed a tear
For YOU never had much fear.

You were a brave and sturdy mouse
Friendly it is true.
Now I hope that in my house
There isn’t another mus musculus mouse like you.
Je suis desolĂ©e. 

It was Day 5 of Mousey living in my house and today I bought new smaller traps with bright shiny metal parts and a packet of mouse paste in paper sachets. I hadn't seen these before.  
A sad evening! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

It would be lovely to hear what you think.