Monday 22 July 2013

Don't you wish you were here....

Crossing hours ..... here in France it is almost half past midnight when in UK it is half an hour before midnight. Equally, I am sure, there is a full moon!
The temperature outside is 25C and indoors 26C.
We are in a heatwave. The definition of the French canicule in English is:
A heatwave is a period of intense heat during the summer.  It comes from the Latin 'canicula' meaning little bitch or dog... and so we get dog tired or dogged by the weather.   It usually occurs when the difference in temperatures between day and night is weakened for at least 72 consecutive hours.  The heat accumulates faster than it is discharged by  convection or radiation.  The temperature does not drop below 20 ° C at night, and reaches or exceeds 30 ° C during the day, especially since the phenomenon of a heatwave can lasts several days or weeks.
I remember the canicule in France in 2003.... I'd been to Carcassone and Cahors. The scenery was bizarre as all the trees suffering from drought were drained of the colour green. It was as if I was standing within a sepia photograph.
Personally, I love these temperatures. When it is consistently this hot and hotter I like to wake very early, do jobs, sleep a siesta after a light lunch, wake, do jobs or relax and enjoy the SUMMER.
It's healthy and good for vitamin D. However, one must drink plenty of liquid even if not thirsty, (and I don't mean alcohol) during the day to avoid dehydration and keep out of the intense sun to avoid heatstroke. Wear a hat!
I like to have plenty of showers or baths ... saving water in the bath and topping it up with hot water.  And I am ecologically minded. When there is a drought I pail the water into buckets for the plants!

Temperature Update:  8am 27C indoors 23C courtyard

1 comment:

  1. Yesterday and today have been cooler in out bit of the UK making it easier to get essential jobs done.

    I gather that Sunday was very hot in your bit of France. Your siesta idea sounds a good way of dealing with the afternoon heat.

    ReplyDelete

It would be lovely to hear what you think.