Saturday 20 July 2013

Home

Home again to the house in a French village where my heart, without much forethought, landed.
Back from my spiritual, ancestral Home in East Anglia where the Suffolk, Norfolk beaches as well as Sussex coastal paths, call me to watch waves, listen to the pummeling of the sea against the pebbles as I walk against the wind and yearn for whatever it is that beckons as I look to the horizon.

Home alone again. Distant are dearest friends and family.
Missing much,  yet as I post, I'm only 36 hrs on terra franca,  having said 'Hello' to my lovely house just 12 hrs ago.  I had a wonderful time but without enough time to be with those I love. Life is good.

For my return journey I booked a hotel at Boulogne-sur-mer only to arrive and discover the booking had been cancelled. However, a room was provided and I entered the cool room, closed the door behind me only to think "o - oh".  With Goldilocks eyes getting wider and wider I realised someone had been sleeping in the bed ... (my luck was not in!).   The next room had a self-flushing toilet. The French system sometimes does this. I waited more than a few moments after the third visit to the reception desk, desperate to fall into bed all by myself, until the MAN came and stopped the waterfall rushing down the pan.  I needed to slow my mind after 9 hours of journeying in HOTHOT weather.

It is 50 years since I walked the ramparts of the Boulogne fortified village.  I was a schoolgirl on a French language improving visit.  On the return ferry I experienced a first kiss; a first french kiss with a sweet but forward French boy, whilst the gang of my girl friends who'd pushed me into him cheered me on!!!!!  I was naive before that and for many years afterwards, not realising the power one can inadvertently have, but now, at last, I have grown up! Those were the days my friend!

At Étaples I had THE most wonderful dish of HOT moules and frites for an early lunch following an expresso coffee.  Unusual for me! Then I abandoned all DESIRE to walk on a French plage as traffic and heat was unprecedented.  Quick! ... to the autoroute, where travelling was a breeze. Bienvenue to HEAT. May it please LAST. I love it hot even if I do have be in a cool room for some of the time.

I can't believe I am living solo such a long way from anyone and of course my grand daughter, dear friends and family.  However, onwards and upwards as someone says. There is so much to do but I don't work at a mile a minute any more!  I wish to be out and about, travelling like Toad, but I must control the twitchy feet for the semi-nomadic lifestyle of which I dream and enjoy HOME and finish the paintwork, until I've assessed the damage to the budget!

No comments:

Post a Comment

It would be lovely to hear what you think.