Tuesday 23 July 2013

Uncertainty, Insecurity and their opposites

Ten a.m. there is a slight movement of air, although yesterday, being so hot and still, I was Restlessinthehammock at Siesta time.  Paintwork should not be done in above 30C temperatures so I had to abandon exterior door painting, that to give me credit, I had with difficulty started as promised to my inner core!

Listening to a friend's telephone call in the afternoon made 'questionable thinking' recommence. I found this quote:   “Uncertainty is the only certainty there is, and knowing how to live with insecurity is the only security.” ~John Allen Paulos
 
Nine thirty p.m.  despite the short 'orage' mid afternoon with not much wet stuff it is 26C outdoors. I am still painting between words!

The quote is apt! 
I certainly DO feel uncertain about many things.

I have no idea of what could ever be a certainty, except death.
It is true that the only security and certainty I really have is that I am alive at this current moment, and that by past standards I am really ever so happy!!!!!!!  With a roof over my head, food in the cupboard, a moving vehicle ( just!), good physical health, healthy and happy family and friends, I count my blessings!
However, I DO live with feelings of insecurity.  Yet, I find security in small things, in small moments of time which give a kind of freedom rather than imprisonment! For example:
  • When THE ROLLING STONES strut their stuff to give me music I love even though I can't or don't hear / understand the words......
  • When I can afford to go to a classical concert and listen to the prowess of professional musicians I am in awe.  
  • When I remember LOVE, Romance, Pregnancy and Parenting ... though absent and occasional grandparenting is a different kettle of fish....... 
  • When I enjoy living alone, I do what I want when I want and be who I am.  I can  forgive my weaknesses and praise my strengths. (Insecurity arises soemtimes if I think and wish for A. N. Other.)
  • When I celebrate my age!
  • When I sleep in my comfortable bed!
  • When I walk or cycle in the great outdoors.
  • When I marvel at tiny insects, beautiful flowers and wonders of this world.
  • When many other things..............

No comments:

Post a Comment

It would be lovely to hear what you think.