Wednesday 21 May 2014

Cleaning, clearing spaces, packing, unpacking, backpacking!

The external toilet cistern had rusted enough to expel water from the clean water closet and so the promo for 90 euros at LRM seemed ok, until we couldn't open the push button and outer ring on top of the chasse d'eau.  Eventually after reading unhelpful internet sites, I made three calls to LRM, then a man told us what to do. This was the initial idea that we tried but for some reason the bague, the ring, would not budge at all to the left when pushed hard with fingers pressing!
Until, I, the woman on the scene, made it happen!!!! Laugh!
Now the intake of water could be reversed, BUT not by me as I don't have the wherewithal, and still old plumbing would not reach ... and so to the brico shop for parts ... another 10 euros and after several hours labour because old plastic plumbings cemented into floor and wall had to be removed, old doors removed to make it more spacious, the lock of the door adapted so that no child or adult could lock themselves in, walls and floors were scrubbed down, the light bulb replaced, the light shade cleaned, and apart from travel and purchasing time, the job was done!  Hey Presto? Not likely!
A paid plumber would have had kittens and so would my pocket!
So, indeed a huge thank you my friend, with whom...
Now, the external block can be used as a toilet and wash area (cold water only).
Meanwhile, I have cleaned all my saucepans and lids, and some of his in caustic soda ... lots of soaking and scrubbing with wire wool! More tomorrow...between us there are too may saucepans. Some were assigned to camping but were re-assigned to my kitchen when we separated... now they have all re-united... like peas in a pod!
All clutter from another home has gone from my living room up to the attic or out to the atelier for a sort out of those rooms!   Eventually, I will have a wonderful pile of boxes of stuff for a Yard Sale or Vide-Grenier, a pile for Emmaus and a pile for ebay sales! OMG I DO HOPE SO SOON!
Stuff in my attic is of great concern and the sooner I move it on the better.
Despite the feeling of inheriting stuff and having my stuff that I left there returned, it has generated a mixture of feelings. However, having a man to help with JOBS has been most useful to say the least, and indeed I have enjoyed the company, meal times, shared cooking, shared gardening, working together and above all company, chat and friendship.
Of course, it creates more work but it is a small price!
Just one major thing missing between friends!  THAT! plus shared interests as well as TRUST!
Having a helper is motivating and energising. I like it!
Now, mid afternoon we have to try and print boarding passes, letters and start to lay out his minimalistic packing.
I am observing that I was like him... now I am calm.
I am really learning from the experience of observing someone else research and experience angst about long term budget backpacking! I can see what I would take and not take! I think keeping it to 10k or even 15k might be tricky! BUT rhe maxim that you can buy it there can't be appropriate if the backpack weighs the maximum one can carry on one's back!  You'd have to ditch something to carry the next weight!
I am looking at positivity rather than negativity and I promise you I shall cry heaps when he gets on that train for the plane!!!!!!!!!!!!





No comments:

Post a Comment

It would be lovely to hear what you think.