Monday 1 June 2015

Not a Show Garden View 3

My ONE Digitalis Purpurea (Common Foxglove - is there one that isn't common?) has thrived (there used to be some by the stone wall) ... it looks resplendent in front of a movable Van Gogh picture frame. Sometimes called fairy fingers, fairy gloves, fairy bells, floppy dock,  tod-tails!  I would like to see a field of them!
Who nibbled the lower bell?
Beneath the Breezeblock wall is bedrock which I scraped clean five years ago. It was covered in chicken muck, bones, oyster shells, metal nails and things and blue string.  I exposed the rock and scraped out soil and started to plant seeds or sprigs of rockery plants.... some died, some survived. I have been planting 'iris roots'  which have grown abundantly. I can never keep the stems from flopping over.
Unfortunately in this area grow nettles, buttercups, brambles and other wild neighbours!
Above and beyond the wall is wild, wild, really wild orchard land belonging to my neighbour. I absolutely love that she does not tend it.  BUT that acacia tree has to go! It has been pushing the breezeblock wall which is now about to fall over. She says she takes full responsibility. I presume the deed will be done at the end of Autumn! I shall weep for the Acacia, the sky, the land and I don't know how long the roots will take to die.
The tree roots spread into my garden and this is why my potager is drained of nutrients. I let four others grow because they were beautiful when young, their leaves providing visual interest and shade... but have since cut them down. 
Their root system is phenomenal. The wood is very hard. It can be burnt but gives an acrid smell. There are different varieties of Acacia. Lovely in the correct setting! I don't want the tree to come down as it provides a lot of interest for me but the boundary wall has to be rebuilt at one end. I don't wish it to topple on anyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment

It would be lovely to hear what you think.