Sunday 16 February 2014

A pond without goldfish

Last week the windscreen of my car was niftily replaced in order to pass 'le contrôle technique'.  Before the repair and / or after, I can't remember which, I noted that there was a lot of moisture on the inside of the windscreen, but took no notice, merely wiped it dry.  On Wednesday there was water in the bottom of the car, some of which I baled out using an old tea-towel as a sponge. Had I left the door ajar? If so, it didn't make sense because none of the upholstery or plastic was wet! On Thursday, there were 4 larger ponds ... two in the front and two 'à l'arrière!'  Hmph! I booked a rendezvous with the garage for the next day.  Another 45+ minute trip to town! There were three of those last week! Now the petrol budget has exceeded itself!  Miraculously, my hairdresser had an appointment available in the afternoon, so all was not completely lost and everything gained!
It appears that water falling between the windscreen and the bonnet has channels which discharge rainwater behind the front wheels.  Now, I never knew that! Well, these were evidently blocked with dust, leaves and debris. They are not checked for the French MOT and maybe not the English one!  As a result of ignorance, incompetence and I don't know what, the carpets are saturated. My Renault garage discovered the problem, used their vacuum cleaner to suck up as much water as they could and told me to do the same each day or use a sponge!  I sponged twice today and had the heater on full pelt whilst travelling to the Preuilly-sur-Claise Saffron Fair - a product specific market of the Crocus Sativus - a kind of Farmer's market ... which also included the sale of salt, plants and bulbs, cake, cheese, meats, crafts such as pottery, wood, jewellery, etc. There was a restaurant but only open at midday!
As soon as RAIN stops during the day, I'll open doors and windows. I might be able to put the humidifier inside the car!   I hope it isn't any other problem.
Meanwhile SPONGE in hand, my heart goes out to all those with flooded homes.
An absolute nightmare for them!!!!!!!   The fields across country are saturated; crops/seeds will rot.  Fallen trees have been cleared from roads and lie in the swollen ditches.

No comments:

Post a Comment

It would be lovely to hear what you think.