Wednesday 5 February 2014

The Life of Rif

A busy week, highlighting a need to tackle personal issues / tasks, think of Future AND let go of Past.
Monday:
I drove to hospital - about 50 minutes drive.  I receive results of neck and shoulder x-rays immediately afterwards.  Isn't that efficient? I have to return to the GP to see what further treatment he will recommend for the upper arm difficulties which keep me awake at night! The non-steroid anti-inflammatory kicked in after 4 days but then the 7 day treatment ended and yes there was a marginal improvement which has faded!
I did a little food shopping. Unfortunately, despite best intentions, I couldn't resist a long grey linen tablecloth reduced by 50% and bags of compost (terreau) at 50% discount too!
Tuesday:
Arrived at the garage early. Waited whilst they checked the vehicle. Then they told me what work the car needs before the contrôle technique in the afternoon.  In France this MOT is every two years. They suggested I had a new windscreen, evidently covered by my insurance!!!!!!  It had been severely scratched by the metal part of windscreen wipers when last winter, or was it the winter before, rubber froze to the glass and parted from the wiper blades!
The mechanic was very helpful, in his own interests for business of course. Once I'd understood his suggestion, I agreed!  He phoned the insurance company to change the windscreen. I write a cheque for the repair,  the garage gives me an invoice and does not cash the cheque for two weeks.  Meanwhile I send the invoice to the insurance company who re-imburse my bank.  As soon as I receive the funds the garage cashes the cheque.  Isn't that marvellous?  Some cleaning of the brakes and a piece of rubber for the exhaust support- it's an absolute miracle for little Clio and me!!!!!! 
Whilst they did the work I walked into town - quite a distance. I kept to the opposite side of the road of the site of the May 2013 velo accident!  I am still rather nervous and almost ultra vigilant on the road as a driver, cyclist or pedestrian. I concentrated, walking carefully, as the pavement is pockmarked.  At times one had to walk onto the cycle track because vehicles were parked on the pavement. I must have pre-empted the trip I had on the return journey when I didn't quite negotiate the steps of a house that poked out onto the pavement ... another horror for the blind pedestrian!  I went flying forwards with the weight of a backpack behind me!  Squeezed between parked vehicles with not much space to land, two gloved hands broke my fall causing a jolt to my right shoulder. An inner scream, an expletive, as the biceps tendonitis / rotator cuff tendon (whatever!) went through an excruciating wave of pain and agony!  Aware of a bruise on my chin, thankfully not bleeding and the same to my left knee, which I knew had bled, I was grateful to be in tact and so were my better jeans!   Never mind!  Fortunately, I was wearing my new strong but heavy walking shoes.
Before that, unexpectedly I'd met a French friend so we shared news over a coffee.
I also viewed a small but interesting art exhibition and a film at the new cinema as well as visited the very exciting new Tourist Office at Chatellerault, behind which is the new Elementary and Maternelle school and pedestrian access to the river.
Wednesday: trying to get shipshape at home, chasing my tail with domestics, admin and naughtily writing blog posts!
Been trying to convert photos from ipad to laptop but it wants to use Google Drive, other apps and not iphoto! VERY ANNOYING IS MODERN TECHNOLOGY and I don't live in the ARK.


1 comment:

  1. It took a while to work out what Rif meant... Evidence that the gret matter isn't as quick as it once was!

    We are always relieved when cars pass the MOT with little work necessary. After the roof you must be happy! Also the fall must have shaken you. Poor you...

    ReplyDelete

It would be lovely to hear what you think.