Monday 3 February 2014

Date and Pineapple Oatcake Slice


I put about 200g stoned dates with a little water in a pan and then used the potato masher to bash into a puree. After that I added about a quarter of a large finely sliced fresh pineapple which I'd bought just before Christmas for 1.50 euros and kept it in my cold pantry to ripen.
In a bowl weigh 350g s.r. flour and 350g oats with 250g brown sugar and 250g butter, a large pinch salt and a large pinch vanilla powder. Crumble together with the fingers.
In a greased tin... sprinkle and pat down just under 1cm thick crumble...then spoon the date and pineapple mixture over the crumble pressing smooth, followed by a final layer of crumble. Press with your fingers or a spoon.
Bake in an oven about 190 / 200C for about 20 to 30 minutes...when the oaty mixture is golden and not white looking.   Slice whilst still warm and serve with crême fraîche.
There was more pineapple and more crumble. So I made a further dessert with only pineapple in the centre which I shall eat for breakfast as well as dessert... and a smaller sized pineapple-upside-down with a crumble instead of a sponge!!!! Deeeeeeeeelish!
My friend doesn't often make desserts so it seemed a fair exchange for table talk with 5 adults, 3 kiddies, champagne with salmon canapés, Chinon rouge and roast chicken with vegetables, goats cheese with a red Bordeaux, a sweet 2005 Bergerac with my dessert, black coffee and then I watched the 2013 movie "Frozen" with the little ones until the sun had almost set!  Ah....... I am alive!



No comments:

Post a Comment

It would be lovely to hear what you think.