Thursday 6 February 2014

Film Review: I used to be darker

I chose this film at the new FANTASTIC LOFT cinema because it was at a convenient time. There was 'Yves St Laurent' but Version Originale Sous-Titres (VOST) won!  I was the only one in Screen 6!  The title of the film is from the lyrics of one of the songs.  Matthew Porterfield: Director.  Released: September 2013.
A young Irish teenager has fled from her job in Wales. In fear, not knowing how to solve her problem, she has gone to seek refuge and shelter with her cousin, without realising that her aunt and uncle are experiencing a marital separation (love and loss). She's pregnant but takes a while to tell everyone (love and loss). Her friend has come home from college because of family crisis (love and loss).  She gets angry but is letting off steam for her own frustrations, inner hurt and quandary of how does one help anyone in crisis, let alone one's parents! There was anger from the father as he broke his guitar (love and loss).  There is release of love, everyone tried to be kind in their loss. There is obvious depression and frustration. There is redemption when lives are built up, then broken down. Life changes.  It brings the unexpected.  Nothing stands still.  It can be cruel and unkind.  The stories of the characters unfold.  There is an end to every beginning.  There is a beginning to every end. There was a sense of profundity to this film-story without an end as in everyday Life!
At first I wondered what I was doing watching such a movie about youngsters, but I sat through the glaringly, appallingly not-my-style-music.  At the end I discovered myself tapping a foot to a beautiful melody.  I wondered why the cinema lights had gone on!  It was the final song.
It was a film about letting go...but to go where?  As in real life, people wondered about their  experiences and were uncertain of how to solve emotional and pragmatic difficulties!  As in real life we go to the next experiences either of our own making or that have been circumstantially imposed upon us
It was a good film, one that I would recommend, for being gentle, even with the drama of anger and pain.  One could reflect. Occasionally the pace was a little slow, bringing a minor point of boredom when I fidgeted in my seat!

No comments:

Post a Comment

It would be lovely to hear what you think.