Sunday 22 June 2014

A Camping Conundrum

I deliberately drove to the farthest point of the Île de Noirmoutier following my research that there was a campsite at La Pointe.  It was at a later time than I intended because I got lost at Vannes. Others were also mystified, poring over maps because there were no French signposts on roads developed in the last few years for going south-east!  Lost again at St Nazaire, which was my fault when I followed 'port' instead of 'pont'!!!   My excuse was that my glasses were smeared with sweat from thirty degree plus heat without air con in my little Clio!
I enjoyed pitching my tent... it only takes a few minutes... then I walked across to the headland and beach with sea in three directions!  A shower before a walk to find an evening meal but as the prices seemed heady, I decided to have a beach-picnic of cheeses, cherries and a bottle of screwtop wine, which because of the heat was not imbibed!  I read my book, feeling uneasy!  For when I got the food and picnic-blanket out of my car boot I sensed something be being watched by the man who sat at a table!  I'd said Bonsoir and he did too. I am 'Polite in France'. Rods were propped by the tree! Realising vulnerability I tried to set the mind-thoughts aside, letting go the idea to move pitch!  When I noted that he had disappeared I went to bed early to read inside my tent.  Maybe he had gone fishing!
I am sometimes extremely paranoid but these days do listen to intuition and I try hard not to get afraid! I had already spoken to a lovely French couple so am not adverse to speaking to strangers!
Well... the funny part of this story is that I didn't get much sleep.  I had to keep rational by saying a mantra of "I am OK...I am safe...I will be safe!" as fully clothed under my silk duvet, I clutched the wooden mallet in one hand and the car key in the other,  having already secured the outer tent zip from the inside with a tent peg!  Halfway through the night I decided to wear my sandals for a quick escape!  PARANOIA. ACUTE ANXIETY. EXTREME IMAGINATION. FEAR. Call it what you will!   The truth is that I believed untrue thinking and scared myself in doing so. When I managed to break those thoughts I definitely slept a little1 One has to feel the fear but get rid of it or it just eats away!

During the night I heard two things falling from the tree onto my car.  Branches? The wind was another reason for my alert wakeful state, as it flutttered the not-so-taut-tent-textile!  Restless in France most certainly!  Imagine my horror when I returned from the shower at 7h30 the next morning! Some bird or birds had dropped two huge dollops on my bonnet and the mess was wriggling with maggots!  That did it!  Decision as to what to do that day was made! Up came the tent! I moved the car to the sanitary block and with a bucket, hot water and an old sock found behind the washing machine, cleaned up and moved on out!  Whilst I waited patiently reading ready to pay at the 'Acceuil' office which opened at 8h30, THAT wretched fisherman drove past, scrutinising me.  It felt uncomfortable as if maggots were writhing under MY skin!  ugh!
No, this was not funny, as I'd paid 15 euros for an unpleasant experience when it was supposed to be idyllic!  I am never returning there!

No comments:

Post a Comment

It would be lovely to hear what you think.