Sunday 18 October 2015

Resting after Entertaining

The photos were taken with my camera by an unknown person but I forgot to show her how to use  zoom.  Digital cropping reveals a flavour of the Vagabond.  It was dusk on a clear night. The first stop after the Chevalier where there was no music was at Le Lecteur.  A prostrate figurine reading a book. I must try to read like that again!  Thomas with his Stroh-violin.
 ...here they come towards me...
...where I play "Coeur Vagabond" to the Green Man.  In France called le Bon Homme...this one with his head in the clouds or wind...
The group moved to the wall of faces.. look closely for, I think, 127 in total.
At 'le facteur', a wire bicycle is mounted on a circular roofed postbox. Thomas read and posted a postcard.
 He played again at 'L'Abri' -

I'd moved on to 'Les Arches' to play "Gypsy Mood" - a concerto type piece with slow, fast, majestic and light sections.
Being in the back street with little light, surrounded by dark stones of the church wall, opposite the Tree with White Leaves Reflected in a Mirror (my title),  I wasn't happy with my rendition of "Autumn Leaves".  I was  cold and tired. Thomas was supportive, encouraging with his accompaniment, or maybe I was accompanying him.  It was strange to play with the Bass Stroh.  He is an excellent professional musician and theatrical artiste.  I am hoping he will give me another opportunity to play but in warmer conditions where I can sit down!  Earlier, I had chosen to stand where I could have sat down...I had not realised how arduous it is doing street theatre!
 Moving on... 'A la Derive'... being adrift...the scarf was nice but a nuisance!
At the last artistic creation, returning to the place where we'd started, we did an unscheduled replaying of  'La Derive'.
Normally, I do not like to publish photos of me but at the age of 66,  recognising that I have played the accordion on and off since I was aged 7, I realise that this accordion has been 56 years in my ownership and is definitely a few years older than that!
I am publishing because this is the second time this year I have been invited to perform in public. The accordion is heavy. It takes a toll on my back and since the bicycle accident and biceps tendonitis my wrists. These wrists were beginning to give out last night but I managed to pull the beast of bellows in and out, pushing buttons, fingering keys.
I am publishing because I am celebrating my talent which has given immense enjoyment to me and to others.  Poor things who do not like to hear it, including the cat who needs to escape the room!
I am grateful to my mother for sacrificing her time and earnings to give me lessons with the renowned accordionist Martin Lukins in the late 1950s / early 1960s.... that was before I stopped to learn the piano with Mary Ash, my school music teacher.
Last night, someone asked if I had french 'prix' for my playing.  No, I have no qualifications!
WITH THANKS TO THOMAS and the Folies Bastringue Festival....Many people work hard to bring artistic experiences to the villages of France.  It has been a pleasure for me!

3 comments:

  1. Wonderful!!
    I hope you get many more opportunities to play in public...
    Perhaps you and Pauline ought to get together and work up a few numbers...
    there is always room to play in this part of France...
    where music and entertainment take a front row seat!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. In addition to the previous comment....
    that is a big accordion...how on earth did you manage it at 10??
    Wonderful... what a companion to have!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful evening it must have been! Performing in public is a real adrenaline high - enjoy it! P.

    ReplyDelete

It would be lovely to hear what you think.