Wednesday 28 December 2011

The First Daffodil

Yesterday a small yellow Spring flower dared to bob her glorious head at the edge of the village!

Yesterday with a little help from a friend and 7 return journeys we transported and stacked 5 stères of oak logs.  That will make 10 stères since May 2011. I will be interested to see how much I burn and hope that for the future I can find a local supplier.

The car, trailer and my old coat, covered in mud, had to be cleaned and the car is due for a visit to the garage. I am aware that my car is of a certain age and in 2011 it cost me several thousand euros to repair but it needs to survive for just a while longer.
UPDATE: The initial noise was 3 clacks - 1 as I started to roll forward and 2 after each other as I drove onto the road turning in a sharp right S shape. The car was oiled at suspension points and about 12 screws tightened under the chassis and I think for the steering rack joints. When I started to leave the garage there was a different gravel-crunching noise.  I called Monsieur J who listened, who called Monsieur E who listened, who suggested I take my car as it was not serious and when the French MOT is due in February and I still have the noise in perhaps warmer weather then to let them know!  Hm... this sounds very French.  Then within a very short distance I have two new noises that weren't there before:
1. a squeak as I turn the steering wheel to the left
2. the brakes squealed as I journeyed to the petrol station.
The following day it appeared that all noises had gone.
However, what I have ascertained is that apart from two new tyres at the front of the vehicle it should pass the Controle Technique in 2 months time. This is necessary every two years unlike the English one year MOT.  Fingers crossed! Hm??? Cars  and Houses ... aint life fun!
FRENCH LANGUAGE
stère /stɛʁ/ masculin (pronounced as in stair) is of Greek origin meaning solid.  It is a measure of volume, particularly of wood, equal to one metric cube.


No comments:

Post a Comment

It would be lovely to hear what you think.