Saturday 31 December 2011

The no-bathroom scary moments

As it's the last day of the year I thought I'd report about not having a bathroom for 18 months.

The bathroom was delayed because other rooms needed to be renovated for heating and hot water systems and there is not a team of tradesmen here. Many an ancestor had no such luxury so I thought I could manage like they did and I guess I felt noble for saving the water of the planet. However, I NEED running water as it fixes my brain, which helps my body to function better.
OUTDOORS First of all, it's not quite as 'primitif' as one would imagine because I do have "The Municipal Block", a flat-roofed out-building.  The Municipal contains an exterior toilet in it's own compartment.  The cistern needs to be tweaked by hand or else it continually flushes. This is a technique which involves keeping the lid off the cistern, putting hand into the clean cold water and manipulating the valves! The Municipal also has a shower room with bidet, sink and a place for a washing machine, but mine is indoors.  The gas water boiler was condemned before I arrived and we removed it for safety.  It was too expensive to install a water heater for a temporary arrangement and electric power showers do not conform to French 'normes' because they require a higher current then 9 or 12kw and therefore would continually trip the meter.  Also France has "direct" water feed.  No progress there!
Problem solving ideas resulted in an old hosepipe rigged on the roof for solar heated water for the shower. It didn't work terribly well but it was fun! One evening my daughter's family and I returned home to discover a waterfall in the courtyard.  The solar heat had rotted the already rotting plastic/rubber. Fortunately, it had not been cascading for long! I am on a water meter!  A bucket system for cold water and for hot water heated in kettles, seemed to sort of suffice for a summer shower. It was fun but when I scalded my leg and winter arrived I gave up and now have a weekly visit to a friend's house for a shower/bath/shampoo and 'make do' like our grandmothers did with a strip wash or a quick lick!  Back in the summer, I used the 50m garden hose, chose a specific point where no one could see me and  had a very quick, refreshing summer shower.
INDOORS The interior shower, sink and toilet were stripped out in the first week of purchase. In November 2011 work commenced although electrics and plumbing had been updated before this.
WINDOW  It's difficult to explain but the floor of this room is one metre below the grass level of my neighbour. I wanted to ensure that they couldn't see nor hear and I didn't wish to see nor hear them. The fixed glazing was unsightly, but if removed, I would be required to meet current building regulations, so a plan was devised for 3 windows in one.  The original glass bricks were cleaned and restored, then a second wall of glass bricks was inserted, followed by a double glazed unit with phonic and thermal glass.  Although it sounds OTT I am happy with the result, having tested sight and sound from their garden. Finishing touches will be made.
WALLS AND CEILING have needed extra plasterboard, filing and sanding to make them flat... my friend will not tolerate any bumps and dips.   My idea was to have MDF tongue and groove effect wall opposite the bath but now not at all. The ceiling had to be installed.  It is lower than the original and the beams have been hidden. If they become humid they will attract the death-watch-beetle and other woodworming insects.  All the time there is continual consideration of  measurements as to the positioning of sink, towel rail, toilet, shower, bath, cupboards, doors, mirrors, lighting, clothes hooks as the room is only 7sq metres.  The toilet cistern will be concealed and it happens to be a suspended toilet which is not quite what I planned but heyho!  The nice man at LeroyMerlin helped me choose. I've done all the angst ridden, decision making shopping for bath, toilet, shower, floor and wall tiles, some lighting. I bought a smallish sink but I think it should be even smaller.
FLOOR Yesterday the levelling compound was laid to raise the floor by 2cm to bring it in line with the future floor level of the bathroom so that it will be en-suite.  It just needs a light skimmed layer and then my new year gift will be helping to lay floor tiles.
EVACUATION As the end of year meets us, we have got to the bottom, so to speak, of the problems with the exterior drainage (excuse the pun). Because of known difficulties with French plumbing, my friend is rightly paranoid that "backing up" does not occur.  The French have been somewhat behind (woops, another pun) on their drainage norms but now, most, if not all, the drainage systems have been assessed.  The drainage pipes in my courtyard have been tracked and I shall make a map of their final position.  The flow was tested and all was not well.  In an attempt to adjust the incline they've had to be re-routed - thank goodness I hadn't yet decked this area!  In digging the gravel, a hole was accidentally made in a different, unexpected pipe coming at an angle.
Miraculously, we had found the mystery of the disappearing, guttering drainage. Testing that this WAS from the downfall pipe involved me climbing the ladder to be Mrs Raincloud.  This drainage pipe will  have to be re-routed because it is impeding the fall of the main evacuation pipes.   Each of the rainfall down pipes will have their own discharge pipes going underground into the mains sewers and the bathroom, sink and toilet will have another.  Lots of work but we can do it!  The drains have been tested!  This will be the first task of the year...oh, it can only get better!

And so Goodbye to another year:
The courtyard garden is in chaos.
The living room is a cauchemar - a storage area and workshop.
A table is covered with screws and nails in the process of being sorted. Give me a ball of wool to unravel anyday! (It's now DONE)
My bedroom is an office and stationery work needs sorting.
Today I uncovered the piano to play Chopin, the settee and the red rocking chair so I can sit by the woodburner to greet a more progressive and positive year.
I am lucky woman for I have warmth, shelter, food, good health, happiness, friends, family, improving self-awareness, confidence and acceptance.


This is how it is.
This is how it can be if I work towards goals.
Happy New Year to everyone.


 FRENCH LANGUAGE:        cauchemar - nom masculin
1. A frightening dream. A nightmare.
2. An event, thing or person that is tormented and obsessed







No comments:

Post a Comment

It would be lovely to hear what you think.