Monday 19 December 2011

Oh woe! Not the woodburner again!



Quel horreur!
This was not supposed to happen! But it has, just one week before Christmas!! Just when I was beginning to think that for the winter I could move to an uncluttered, renovation-free environment of a new bedroom,  just beyond the oval room that contains the woodburner! How unjust!
Now, on the shortest day of the year I await the woodburner installer and know I am just within the guarantee period.  It was good that we used fireproofed plasterboard.  However, it wasn't waterproofed and the wall surface has bubbled. The glass hearth has to be cleaned and it seems that the oak flooring below has been stained. Certainly the skirting board and air vent are sticky.  Whether any of this can be cleaned and with what substance or whether items have to be replaced as yet is unknown. I would prefer the minimum of replacement!  Goodness knows how many more labour hours, material costs, and worry will be needed to create calm from this chaos.

I feel devastated and tired with all this renovation lark! I want my life back. I am sure my friend who is helping me to renovate feels the same if truth be known!
A record of the event
On Saturday night 17th December 2011 I thought I would sleep in my brand new single Victorian iron bedstead with brand new duvet and bedlinen in a totally uncluttered room,  free from office stuff, free from renovation materials,  free!  Indeed it felt as if I was on a retreat and all was calm and still in my life!  I lit the fire in the oval room about 6pm that evening.  By 8pm it was cosily warm.  I went to bed about 10 and woke unusually at 4am on the Sunday 18th December,  made myself a cup of tea and did some writing.  Then I slept like a hibernating hedgehog until late..11h30 in the morning!  I was tired! The fire was alight with glowing embers so I cleaned the window of the woodburner which was unusually difficult as the resins on the glass were stubborn.  Eventually, after rubbing the glass with vinegar, ash and the special cleaning product, it was perfect.  I laid the fire, closed the door safely, and went to have brunch.  When I returned to the room and saw the fire had not taken, I suddenly saw the wall!  The way in which the resin had dried on the glass hearth indicated that it had been like this for some time but certainly it was not there when I went to bed on Saturday evening.  
UPDATE: 21 December 2011
The two employees of the company arrived instead of the proprietor as promised.  Hm?  At first, the one who speaks English suggested it was not their fault and that water had fallen through the chimney breast, not the flexible flue liner, and penetrated the plasterboard and that old resins in the chimney had mixed with the rainwater.  Hm?  Apart from the lowest point in the oval hole there is no other moisture.  Eventually the same person accepted blame.  He'd climbed the ladder and was trying to convince us that he needed to put in some other flexible tubing to allow air pressure to escape, when we insisted  that we wanted to go up the ladder and quick-thinking, I dashed indoors for the camera.    It is as we thought: the chap had never cemented the chimney pot onto the chimney stack properly.  He says the high wind of last week had removed the metal that they normally put around the pot! Hm?  Whilst my friend and I were indoors discussing the phone conversation that I'd just had with the proprietor who tried to wriggle out of  responsibility, the men had removed the ladders and they refused toput them back for us to goup and see what they had done. The flaunching was not done correctly because moss should not be there nor the gaping hole for rain to tumble down!


There was some suspicion about his workmanship earlier in the year.  I'm cross that we never insisted on climbing the ladder when the chimney pot was put into place.  I thought that maybe they had dislodged the cement when they 'swept the chimney', when the woodburner fllled with smoke and it burst through every orifice and filled my room, but no that was not the reason.
However, there is a happy outcome - December 22nd. The charming director, conciliatory when he arrived, said he would pay for the interior decoration to be made good as he took responsibility.  The men will return in January so that we can see their work, take a photo, and be assured the work has been done properly.   If I were running his business this man would be justly fired!

No comments:

Post a Comment

It would be lovely to hear what you think.