Monday 26 December 2011

The Small Room Surfaces

1985 to 2010

Note the brown T&G that later was removed and my son.
Removal of T n G revealed a mess!
And so it landed on the ground
and was replaced by plasterboard
 Storing the oak flooring and becoming a workshop
Lower doors are missing so D made new ones.
Tools
External door has two parts to it, sanded and reglazed before bars were glued onto window,
Likewise for the window
Finished window and oak flooring
A new door where one did not exist
Beautifully finished
Transformation of a horrid room into a peaceful haven
You would not know the lower doors are not original.
One day I'll get some one to bx in the electricity panels.


The external door is in two parts.
Note the travertin tiles as to put oak in the doorway was asking for trouble if it became wet from the rain.

The central ceiling light was removed.  I wonder what is above the low ceiling.
To begin with I wept copiously, trying to sand down the TnG, and paint it witnessing the imperfections in the wood.  Then there was the ceiling from which I could not remove the cracks nor make it flat. Later, I decided it would be easier to remove the TnG wood which it was in some respects,  but new plasterboard, filling and sanding was required so different energies were required. I'm very glad to have suggested the idea. Initially I wept buckets over the removal of the cork effect lino and the paper and the glue... (a song used to some to mind)  ... as on my knees I scraped until my rescuer who came with power tools. The walls and ceiling required repeated sanding and filling until THE BOSS was happy and then painting ... oh my... this showed the imperfections and so painting, sanding and filling continued until eventually the Farrow and Ball Skimming Stone could be used.....oh dear, it was the nearest to a Walnut colour that I had mixed and I knew the effect from someone else's house.
The lighting is not ideal but it does not bad a job. I am extremely pleased and happy with the whole effect and knowing from where the room came from it has been transformed from a hovel into a retreat.
I remember the pain and the events that happened in that room and yet all is so tranquil there today.
I  bought a restored Victorian iron bedstead from Jonathan at "The Princess and The Pea". I can highly recommend this company to anyone who would like such a wonderful sleeping experience or who needs a bespoke mattress.




I have a soft cotton ivory net curtain  but am loathe to drill into the fabric of the building.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

It would be lovely to hear what you think.