Thursday 28 March 2013

A room of retreat

At last flooring and decoration is ALMOST COMPLETE!...... other than touching up paint on the skirting board, putting battens on both sides of the door windows, adding draught-proof seal around  doors and painting external woodwork on doors.

"I'm really happy" is an understatement, but it's been a long haul since November when my bedroom was vacated and the Salon became a workshop (still is).
I'm extremely pleased that I chose to repaint the walls which we had repainted with inexpensive Wickes Ivory.  Previously, it was only ever intended as a temporary base coat when the initial re-decoration was accomplished in 2010 when walls were stripped of paper. However, the walls continued to suck up the paint and became very streaky and patchy. So Farrow & Ball it was, at huge cost, but I like it!

My friend feels satisfaction that he then chose to remove the Three Valleys between the plasterboard sheets (positioned in 1985), then had to eradicate the teeny weeny air bubbles that appeared in the recent plaster filling. Lots of filling and sanding between painting was a nuisance, but the outcome is a happy one.  He says it is elegant.  How very nice!  How very kind! That is also an understatement.

No more bare concrete floor, no more carpet, no more gaps where there was no skirting board and I'm going to attempt to ban myself from storing stuff under the bed.  DIFFICULT when I need cupboards!

I'm looking for a suitable armoire for clothing (aka wardobe) but there's not a lot of space with doors on three walls.  In the Autumn I will have to consider whether to re-install the radiator because of the 'not much wall-space' factor.  I'm intending to hang curtains across the courtyard doors. I'm trying to decide which rail to buy when existing curtains from my UK house have the plastic hooks and gathers plus the hem needs letting down to make them longer. Hopefully hang one or two pictures without cluttering the visual space.  Minimalist is now an aim!  I've never been able to achieve that!

Achievement is a wonderful feeling... and so to bed, to sleep, and not to dream of re-decorating this room ever again!  Thank you to a friend.

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you started blogging again.

    You have put in so much work on your new house. Now you are starting to see the payoff. I hope you'll be showing us some "after" photos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your support Carolyn. As you see, I stole one of your phrases, adapted it, to include in my profile as I found it so apt.

    ReplyDelete

It would be lovely to hear what you think.